Managing Director for the Center for Chemistry at the Space-TIme Limit (CaSTL) 9/15/2016
University of California - Irvine
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY MANAGING DIRECTOR FOR THE CENTER FOR CHEMISTRY AT THE SPACE-TIME LIMIT (CASTL)
* School of Physical Sciences - Chemistry
Open September 12th, 2016 through December 22nd, 2016
If you apply to this recruitment by December 22nd, 2016, you will have until January 6th, 2017 to complete your application.
CaSTL is an NSF Center for Chemical Innovation (CCI). The Center is envisioned as a national and world leader in developing the enabling science and technology to record molecular motions and transformations in real space and time, with ultimate joint space-time resolution of -fs, necessary to capture chemistry one bond at a time. In addition to developing the methods, the Center is expected to demonstrate implementations of major impact on chemistry. In addition to science, the Center assumes communication of science to the public at large and outreach activities as integral responsibilities. The Center is searching for a Managing Director (Academic Administrator appointment), who will manage the NSF CCI Center with guidance from the Director and member faculty of CaSTL in order to reach these goals, and will help to devise and implement procedures to maintain agility in defining immediate and long-term science targets.
Summary of Position:
The Managing Director will coordinate and support the research and educational activities of CaSTL. The Managing Director reports to and works in close partnership with the Director to administer this large, technically complex, and continuously evolving Center. The Managing Director serves as manager and central administrator for the Center, acting within the policies and procedures of the Center, the University, and the NSF s Cooperative Agreement to achieve Center goals. The Managing Director is the primary interface between Center researchers, technical staff, education and outreach personnel, industrial partners and the Director. Specific areas of responsibility include Center-wide coordination and planning of activities, financial management, budget preparation, facilities support, proposal preparation, grant administration, technology transfer, human resources, general administration, and resource allocation. The Center membership and composition evolves in time. CaSTL presently involves faculty and researchers from five universities, and collaborations that extend to other academic, K-12, government, and industrial partners. UCI is the lead institution.
* Five years of experience with a research institute, academic institution, national laboratory, or commercial organization working within a scientific research setting required.
* Familiarity with the federal grant process, specifically the NSF.
* Management experience.
* Proven leadership, communication, and team building skills.
* Demonstrated ability to effectively address complex administrative issues and research related-administrative matters.
* Highly developed ability to prepare written communications.
* Proven administrative, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
* Demonstrated competence in budget management, large event planning, and coordination and facilitation of substantive research through administrative means.
* Demonstrated experience coordinating projects involving many individual and institutional participants.
* Ph.D. in physics, physical chemistry, nano-science, or related field is required.
Working environmental conditions:
Flexible work hours and availability to travel are required for the position.
Submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 references electronically to: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF03703
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
More information about this recruitment: http://www.castl.uci.edu
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence. (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
3 references required (contact information only).