Manufacturing Engineer (Medical Device)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/15/2016
END DATE 11/4/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB SUMMARY
The Manufacturing Engineer is primarily responsible for supporting all production operations (e.g. Plastic Injection Molding, Assembly and Product/Preparation/Packaging), working with teams on implementing Continuous Improvement & Safety initiatives, recommending and implementing capital improvement projects, and supporting New Product Development Activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
* Works with R&D/New Product Development (NPD) personnel during the concept and development phases of each new product initiative to incorporate manufacturability and assembly features into the product to reduce overall part costs.
* Responsible for developing and maintaining appropriate project plans and timelines for new products.
* Identifies, justifies and purchases components and/or equipment to support NPD activities.
* Works with NPD personnel to successfully transfer new products from the design phase into the manufacturing environment.
* Provides Manufacturing Engineering support (i.e. Bill of Material, Control Plans, Work Instructions, Process Flows, Equipment Requirements, etc.) for injection molding, assembly and product preparation operations.
* Oversees process development and validation for assembly and product preparation departments to ensure that a repeatable process is established, maintained and electronically documented.
* Provides assistance to the Manufacturing Manager for developing and implementing new and/or refined processes for injection molding operations.
* Provides support for continuous improvement initiatives, by working with the production teams to identify new opportunities which bring about new optimized facility layouts that increase part flow, increase personnel productivity, enhance personnel safety and reduce overall part costs.
* Creates, justifies and implements manufacturing strategies that support automation concepts which lead toward efficient unattended operation of equipment.
* Generate comparative studies (i.e. equipment & process cost estimates, R.O.I., schedules, etc.) in determining the best fit for manufacture of product (i.e. in-house versus off-site supplier). Upon successful evaluation of options, set up assembly process in-house, or oversee the transfer of assemblies to off-site subcontractors by qualifying and validating the assembly processes within their facility.
* Develops, justifies and manages capital equipment projects to support new products, as well as increase productivity on existing products.
* Performs other duties as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
* Bachelor's Degree from a four year college or university (Mechanical or Industrial Engineering focus preferred)
* Minimum of 2 years of experience in Plastic Injection Molding (Over Molding) & Automated and/or Manual Assembly processes
* Experience working with a remote manufacturing facility
* Experience with the transfer of products from one location to another required (Product is Engineered in USA & Manufactured in Mexico)
* Experience with medical manufacturing requirements (i.e. FDA-GMP, ISO9001, ISO13485) is preferred
* Experience with specifying, procuring and installing automated and manual assembly equipment is required
* Previous experience with leading small teams desired
SKILLS & ABILITIES
* Fundamental understanding of ERP systems utilized in a manufacturing environment is required (i.e. training will be provided for IFS-Company ERP System).
* Demonstrate ability to read and understand mechanical drawings (i.e. ANSI Y14.5, ISO 594, and Geometric Tolerance).
* Demonstrate ability to successfully use inspection devices (i.e. microscopes, calipers, gauge pins, CMM, optical, Smart Scope, etc.).
* Understand and apply ISO 9001 concepts.
* Understand and be able to implement Statistical Process Control (SPC) tools.
* Strong written and oral communication skills. Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals. Ability to respond to common inquiries and complaints from customers and regulatory agencies. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
* Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations.
* Good analytical skills. Ability to apply principles of logical scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
* Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs etc.) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
* Basic operating knowledge of PCs, and supporting software (i.e. Microsoft Word, Microsoft Project, Excel, Power Point, etc.).
* Working knowledge of CAD tools such as SolidWorks, AutoCad, Pro-E is desirable
* Spanish as a second language highly valued
* Must be able to travel to the Mexico facility twice a quarter
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Office & Manufacturing. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
15% - 20% (Travel to Mexico facility will occur twice a quarter)
Nordson Corporation provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. No person is to be discriminated against in any aspect of the employment relationship due to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status, marital status, veteran status or any other reason prohibited by law.