Manufacturing Process Engineer Intern - Part Time
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/8/2016
END DATE 11/23/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONFounded in 1980, Seattle-based Precor is a subsidiary of Amer Sports Corporation (www.amersports.com), the world's largest sports equipment company, with internationally recognized brands that include Wilson, Atomic, Suunto, Salomon, Mavic and Arc Teryx.
For more than 30 years, Precor has been inspiring people to live a life in motion. Precor s world headquarters is located in Woodinville, WA with additional domestic operations in Whitsett, North Carolina.
Precor is the #1 supplier of fitness equipment to many of the world s biggest fitness chains, including 24 Hour Fitness, Gold s Gym, Anytime Fitness, and YMCA. Precor is also a preferred fitness equipment supplier to Hilton Hotels worldwide.
With a mission to be the standard of excellence in the fitness industry, Precor manufactures and sells high-end fitness equipment for the home and commercial environment.
* Cardio Equipment (e.g. Ellipticals (EFX), Treadmills, Adaptive Motion Trainers (AMT), Bikes)
* Strength Training Systems
* Fitness Entertainment Products (e.g. Personal Viewing Screens (PVS), Audio Transmitters/Receivers)
Why You Should Join the Precor Team
* Dynamic, forward thinking company leading the industry in product innovation
* Rewards and recognition for superior performance
* Collaborative environment fostering teamwork and accountability
* Opportunity to work for a company that positively impacts people s lives
* Exceptional benefits program including profit sharing, generous 401(k) match, and free on-site gym access
* Superior employee discounts on Precor and other Amer Sports Corporation brand products
POSITION SUMMARY and scope
The Manufacturing Process Engineer Intern is responsible for working with a team to ensure that Precor s Process and/or Final Assembly area is running efficiently. Additionally, the incumbent will be responsible for assisting in the development and continuous improvement of new and existing production processes by conducting studies in operations to maximize workflow and spatial utilization. The incumbent assists the ME team to ensure facility efficiency and workplace safety. Responsibilities for assisting in the Idea to Product (I2P) projects including development of processes, layouts and documentation, as well as assisting in the design, development, and testing of Precor's health and fitness products.
Incumbent reports directly to the Manufacturing Engineering Manager and assists the team in day-to-day activities. This position involves a high degree of interface with all departments and plants. The incumbent will also participate on cross functional teams involving members of other departments. Organization, follow-through and communication skills are important factors in daily administration of this position. The incumbent needs to be process oriented and data driven. The team typically works 6am-4:30pm Monday-Thursday to support production hours, but we are flexible with the hours this person will work.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential Job Function for MEs. Interns may assist/support in any of these activities.
* * Actively pursue continuous improvement and ease of doing business to meet or exceed customer s needs.
* * Develop data driven processes that lead to reliable and repeatable manufacturing methods. Understand and use the philosophy and tools of lean manufacturing and design for manufacturability. Serve as an engineering resource in teaching the use of these tools to others within Precor.
40% Process Engineering:
* * Develop processes that are safe for use. Safety is of highest concern.
* * The ideal candidate owns his or her assembly lines and processes and is a contributing member of the operations manufacturing team.
* * Understand and work to implement lean manufacturing and other process improvement strategies in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
* * Use and understand Operations Metrics to strive for continuous improvement.
* * Support design and documentation of Idea to Product (I2P) projects to ensure the product and processes meet or exceed the safety, functional, cost, reliability, manufacturability requirements of Precor.
* * Support sustainability efforts including Zero Waste Manufacturing.
* * Understand the importance of cost reduction activities. Work with a team to evaluate current process and designs, then suggest, and help implement. appropriate changes.
* * Use value stream mapping and other lean tools to reduce waste, lead time, and inventory, in a continuous improvement setting.
* * Maximize efficiency by analyzing layout of equipment, workflow, assembly methods, and work force utilization.
* * Use lean tools and data to track and improve quality and reduce defects.
* * Establish labor standards for assemblies or parts. Continuously try to develop ways to reduce labor standards.
* * Develop assembly line or process area layouts that maximize efficiency throughout the entire value stream.
* * Evaluate manufacturing systems using Overall Equipment Effectiveness, Utilization and Capacity calculations.
* * Develop, document, and maintain standard work. Assist production supervisors and leads on training methods.
* * Design, implement and improve material handling systems in support of lean manufacturing principles using analysis techniques.
* Effectively communicate information to co-workers, customers, and suppliers, which they require to do their jobs. The communication must be objective and accomplished in a neutral to positive manner. Able to effectively communicate plans, projects, and capabilities to management including the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) at Precor.
Performs other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE requirements
Any equivalent combination of education and experience, which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job, will be considered. Education:
* Sophomore, Junior, or Senior standing at an accredited college or university. * Minimum GPA 2.75. * Degree BS in Manufacturing Engineering or Manufacturing Engineering Technology
Experience and Skills:
* Fundamental understanding and experience with Lean and Six Sigma required. * Experience with paint (wet or powder), welding, and machine shop process or system desired. * Experience with steel fabrication desired. * Experience in DFA/DFM required. * Experience with industry standard CAD systems for design and documentation. * Experience using standard test and measurement equipment to quantify manufacturing margins and problem solving. * Experience handling simultaneous tasks in an environment that can be challenging at times. * Proficient with Microsoft office * Willingness to work in hands on production environment * Ability to collect and document process data (time studies, quality data, etc.) * Knowledge of Solidworks (or equivalent and ability to learn Solidworks quickly).
* Customer Focus solicits and uses feedback for continuous improvement. Strives for quality and excellence. * Accountability takes a no excuses approach to making things happen. Takes responsibility for own actions and results. * Teamwork Activelyassists to move the team toward the completion of goals * Communication Skills Effectively expresses ideas and thoughts verbally and in written form. * Collaboration - Establishes collaborative relationships to achieve objectives