Manufacturing Supervisor, Machining
Manufacturing Supervisor, New Manufacturing Plant Start Up
Mt. Juliet, Tennessee
The Company is a successful global manufacturer producing industrial products for more than 80years. It is part of a multi-billion dollar publicly-traded Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial products. The Company is establishing a new manufacturing facility for North America in the Nashville, Tennessee area (Mt. Juliet).
Reporting to the Manufacturing Manager and working closely with the operations team, the Manufacturing Supervisor Is responsible for assisting in leading the plant start-up and sustaining operations with the focus on the Manufacturing department. The position is responsible for directing and coordinating production activities in the manufacturing department to achieve plant goals related to safety, quality, productivity, cost and delivery in a low-volume, high mix plant.
As part of the start-up team, the Manufacturing Supervisor will assist the Manufacturing Manager in the design of the manufacturing operation for the new plant as well as defining the team needed to implement, support and continuously improve the best-in-class manufacturing organization. This includes the coordination and implementation of systems, processes, programs and policies for manufacturing. Integral to the plant startup is building a collaborative, high performance culture and work team. The Manufacturing Supervisor for the plant is responsible for developing and leading a team that meets or exceeds organization goals for customers including safe and effective production processes, on-time delivery, inventory management, and cost reduction initiatives.
Reporting to the position are Machinists (approximately 30) and Team Leads (2). The Manufacturing Supervisor works closely with the Materials, Assembly and Manufacturing Engineering teams to schedule and produce products that meet or exceed customer expectations.
The plant start-up has a phased approach and 24-30 month time horizon.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES included but not limited to:
* Promotes safety awareness with other members of the plant team. Promotes accident prevention and employee involvement in regard to a safe work environment.
* Supports the continuous improvement roadmap for the manufacturing team. Leverages continuous improvement tools to drive continued operational improvements and ensures engagement of the entire manufacturing team through strong communication and clear direction.
* Supervises team on a daily basis, while ensuring safety, quality and productivity requirements are met.
* Assists with selection and development of the plant assembly team with support from the Manufacturing Manager, following the recruitment and selection process for successful hiring.
* Assists Manufacturing Manager with planning and reviewing operations, establishing priorities and sequences for manufacturing products to maximize productivity and utilization of equipment and human resources, and enabling plant projects with engineering, maintenance and manufacturing.
* Continuously improves production planning to meet customer expectations and achieve plant and company goals.
* Reviews production, quality, maintenance and operating reports to anticipate or resolve production or quality problems to ensure minimum costs and prevent operational delays on an as needed basis. Supports effective data and reporting through Oracle.
* Responsible for executing and completing daily work schedule, and ensuring quality of production outputs.
* Proactively responds to abnormal conditions such as production disruptions, working with engineering, quality and manufacturing team to implement counter measures.
* Communicates daily with Manufacturing Manager, escalating issues in the department as required to maintain production.
* Develops or revises standard work, operational and working practices.
* Coaches, provides feedback to and develops manufacturing team members. Motivates and manages the production team to achieve annual goals/objectives set at the individual and organizational level following the performance management process.
* Supports and implements established and continuously improving production processes in an excellent and cost effective way using continuous improvement and lean processes and tools as part of the Company's standard operating system.
3-5years of supervisory experience in manufacturing required; experience in automotive, low volume - high mix environment, and machining environment preferred.
Working knowledge of continuous improvement (CI) practices, including Just-In-Time (JIT), Kanban, and other CI and lean practices required.
Experience with ERP system required (Oraclepreferred).
CNC machining experiencepreferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Flexible, with strong teamwork orientation
Good verbal and written communication skills
Demonstrated leadership ability, including experience coaching and training others
Strong organization and problem-solving skills; analytical and creative
Strong orientation toward quality, safety and continuous improvement
Ability to work well under pressure
Commitment to lean principles
Demonstrated ability to effectively implement change
Ability to work in teams, provide project status, and maintain a high level of communication
Ability to multi-task and manage stressful situations
Strong customer mindset
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
Associate's degreerequired, Bachelor's degreepreferred
Ability to travel up to 10% of the time