Manufacturing Technician Lead (20160498) 9/9/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY EnerSys is the global leader in stored energy solutions for industrial applications. We have over twenty manufacturing and assembly plants worldwide servicing over 10,000 customers in more than 100 countries. Worldwide and Americas headquarters are located in Reading, PA, USA with regional headquarters in Europe and Asia. We complement our extensive line of motive power, reserve power, aerospace/defense, and specialty batteries with a full range of integrated services and systems. With sales and service locations throughout the world, and over 100 years of battery experience, EnerSys is the power/full solution for stored DC power products.
We offer an excellent benefit package and a salary commensurate with experience and/or education.
Position has duties and responsibilities similar to a Technician III or IV level, with directorial responsibility, directing fellow technicians in daily production. They have greater hardware experience, knowledge, and can maintain all required NASA certifications with optional IPC/NASA qualifications. They interface frequently with the manufacturing manager for production goals, direct the work of others to achieve those goals, and answer technical questions as they arise. They are required to maintain certification in the majority of in-house Work Instructions (including clean room and ESD practices) and can train to most of the certifications with some assistance from Engineering. They have more advanced process and equipment skills, and require no oversight in performing flight work. This is a technician position in which the candidate is expected to contribute, edit, and possibly author corporate manufacturing processes and procedures. They have a good working knowledge of highly technical battery hardware and can contribute to manufacturing and engineering technical discussions. The technician may be assigned to R&D programs when available.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following; however other duties may be assigned.
* Additional Tech IV Lead Responsibilities:
* Ability to direct work priorities, set expectations, and lead the work of others with minimal to no supervision.
* Guides others by example and conduct.
* Manufacturing and equipment production is a secondary effort.
* Produces model hardware which can be used by fellow technicians as a quality example.
* Is a recognized and go-to expert for production and process questions technicians have when called upon.
* Ability to direct and signoff on minor in-process discrepancies and rework.
* Is a work instruction trainer in the majority of in-house process work instructions.
* Assists in ensuring all manufacturing personnel training is up-to-date and training class planning.
* Assists Engineering with preliminary modeling, testing, process definition, and documentation.
* Creates build book requests, administer discrepancy notices.
* Demonstrates and assists in establishing standards for flight hardware handling.
* Initiate NCRs and participate in findings and resolutions to close out NCR's.
Included Previous Level Responsibilities:
* Is IPC certified and maintains certification in three or more NASA standards (8739.1, .3, and .4).
* Can discuss and assist in scheduling process work with manager, engineers, or senior technicians.
* Perform skilled electrical testing.
* Becomes trained and certified in twenty or more in-house process work Instructions.
* Become certified as an ABSL Work Instruction Trainer for ten or more work instructions.
* May assist in creation and verification of flight tooling.
* Suggests revisions to manufacturing travelers and in-house process work instructions.
* Perform manufacturing and production activities according to NASA space standards in the areas of: mechanical and electrical assembly, soldering, resistive welding, insulative coating, epoxy application, crimping and wire harness assembly.
* Works well with fellow team members, under minimal supervision, and can create work direction from production schedule as required.
* Understands and utilizes electronic management systems for data storage and program documentation retrieval.
* Ability to read, comprehend, and work effectively with mechanical drawings and documentation including bills of materials, assembly drawings, work instructions, and equipment travelers.
* Experience in working in clean room environments, under ESD protections, and stored energy safe practices.
* Ability to travel within the U.S. for one to several weeks at a time.
* Understands and implements aerospace best practices, meets quality requirements, and space-flight work habits.
* Understands personal limitations and when to stop and ask for assistance.
* Experience in maintaining documents in a timely manner to capture the status of work in progress.
* Generates operating procedures required to prepare equipment and hardware for product processing.
* Demonstrates proper use and care of tools and equipment, ensures equipment is well maintained and ready for use, and flags any tools for disposition that is not.
* Maintains cleanliness and organization of work space.
* Escalate issues that are outside their authority, competence, or scope.
* Follow all safety guidelines and report unsafe conditions to manager or safety personnel.
* Report any variations from the established plan to manager in a timely manner.
* Communicates well with fellow peers within quality and production ranks, both verbally and in written form.
* Initiates non-conformance reports with support from manager and other technicians.
* Generates in-house process rework instructions. Provides advice and feedback on any necessary corrective actions.
* Gains knowledge about Environmental test systems (TVAC & Vibe), assist in monitoring and operation of chambers in the Test department.
* Assists Test technician in testing of hardware.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Able to use VOMs and small hand tools, pull tester and spot welder. Experienced using Word (documentation) and Excel (spread sheets). Solid understanding of lithium Ion cells and batteries, and the ability to trouble shoot during assembly. Understands and uses traceability requirements, Quality Systems and MRB processes. Ability to fabricate small shop aids. Understanding of common customer requirements and how they drive design features. Ability to lift 50 lbs, kneel, crouch, bend and twist.Required Experience:
5-7 years related experience in battery/aerospace or technical field.
Two year electronics course or equivalent. IPC or NASA Standards (8739.1, 8739.3, 8739.4) required and must able to re-certify to NASA and IPC J-STD-001Standards in polymerics, soldering, and wiring. Includes the ability to meet the minimum Far, Near and Color vision requirements of the NASA STD 8739 manufacturing series. Vision requirements may be met with corrected vision.
Reports directly to the Manufacturing Manager. This position does have supervisory responsibilities and directs daily work activity to subordinate technicians. Demonstrates the ability to lead a group of technicians for special projects.