Mathematics Content Specialist
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/9/2016
END DATE 10/13/2016
San Francisco, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONPOSITION NO:
WestEd a nonpartisan, nonprofit research, development, and service agency works with education and other communities throughout the United States and abroad to promote excellence, achieve equity, and improve learning for children, youth, and adults. WestEd has more than a dozen offices nationwide, from Massachusetts, Vermont, and Georgia, to Illinois, Arizona, and California, with headquarters in San Francisco.
Based in San Francisco, the Standards, Assessment, and Accountability Services (SAAS) program is involved extensively at the state and national levels in planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating standards and assessment tools, methods, and systems. SAAS serves as the test-development contractor for high-stakes assessment programs in several states, and staff perform standards evaluation and alignment studies as well as conduct research on the technical aspects of assessments for general education students and students with special needs. Many staff also work to address broader concerns of college- and career-ready standards, use of assessment results, and/or school intervention and effectiveness. Our wide range of projects and services spans many domains and content areas, including language arts, mathematics, science, social sciences, the arts, and technology.
SAAS is seeking qualified individuals who will contribute to the delivery of high-quality products and services in the fields of student assessment, evaluation, and educational research. The successful candidate will work with the Associate Director of Mathematics Development in all areas of mathematics assessment development, including editing items, reviewing items, creating ancillary materials (scoring guides, sample papers, training materials for editors and item writers), constructing test forms, and leading all aspects of the mathematics portions of item-development projects.
* Edit and review mathematics assessment items. Item types may include selected response, open ended, free response, performance event, and/or technology enhanced. Ensure that items meet WestEd writing guidelines and specifications as well as project-specific style guidelines. Edit and review scoring materials associated with rubric-scored item types.
* Serve as lead mathematics content specialist on projects. Create item orders and assignments, train item writers and editors, review and edit items, support work of editorial staff who work on project, and work collaboratively with directors, managers, coordinators, and other staff working on project. Develop a deep understanding of project materials (standards, style guides, etc.) and project history.
* Facilitate content review meetings. Participate in client meetings as related to serving as content lead on projects.
* Provide mathematics content expertise on a range of research projects, such as standards quality evaluations, studies of the alignment among standards and assessments, and surveys of best practices related to curriculum and instruction across states.
* Develop and deliver professional development workshops/sessions related to assessment development, standards, or other focus areas of the SAAS program.
* Provide feedback to and mentor junior content staff members.
* Work in a fast-paced, often ambitious/demanding environment while maintaining agreed upon deliverables.
* Bachelor s degree with a major in mathematics or a related field (Master's degree preferred)
* Teaching experience or a background in the application of mathematics content in other settings
* Demonstrated expertise with mathematics content, specifically for grades 3 high school, and the ability to apply expertise in unique contexts
* Working knowledge of rigorous college- and career-ready state standards or the Common Core State Standards for mathematics
* Experience with a large-scale assessment development organization or team (3+ years preferred), particularly for grades 3 high school
* Experience with the development of high-quality items for a variety of testing purposes, particularly in relation to following detailed rules/guidelines for writing and editing items for large-scale assessments
* Demonstrated editing skills
* Strong analytical/critical thinking skills
* Strong oral and written communication skills
* Demonstrated ability to work successfully within a team environment
* Open to feedback and review
* Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities
* Ability to meet deadlines within tight timelines
* Demonstrated ability to communicate and send files via email and the Internet
* Facility with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to accomplish daily tasks
* Ability to learn and work in multiple assessment development platforms
Desirable (but not required):
* Experience developing technology-enhanced items
* Experience developing formative assessments and/or tools and processes that are used formatively
* Experience delivering professional development
* Demonstrated ability to lead a project
* Excellent writing skills
We invite you to Apply for this Position.
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation to complete the online application process, please call 415.615.3131. Please leave a message and a member of our Human Resources team will return your call within three business days. Alternatively, you may send an email to email@example.com with "Applicant Accommodation" in the subject line of the email. Please note that this phone number and email are only for those individuals with a disability who would like to request an accommodation to apply for a job. If you are not an individual with a disability and have a question or comment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
730 Harrison Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
WestEd is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veterans status or other status protected by applicable law.