Mechanic, Wharf Crane (BPT)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
Port of Houston Authority
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Are you READY? We are.
Why settle for ordinary when you can be part of something extraordinary? At Port of Houston Authority, we make sure our people have the best advantages in the business and that includes making sure they are READY to work for a world class port and facility. And by READY, we mean: Respect, Excellence, Accountability, Diligence, and 'You'.
Get in on the action at Port of Houston Authority where You can be part of a great team; where You can help create an environment of excellence; where You can be part of a tradition, over 100 years in the making.
Missing out on this could mean missing the chance at an extraordinary career. Are you READY?
Mechanic, Wharf Crane
The Mechanic, Wharf Crane performs skilled mechanic work of considerable difficulty in the maintenance and repair of Port of Houston Authority equipment
In this role, you will develop strategies and provide advice pertaining to construction, professional, operational, and environmental solicitations. Using sound industry and business practices, this position will direct the solicitation process for competitive bids and proposals in a manner that is consistent with applicable regulatory requirements.
Essential Job Functions:
- Inspect, repair and maintain ship to shore cranes, and other container handling equipment.
- Diagnose and repair component parts of cranes including gearboxes, hydraulic systems, brakes, and other related parts. Must demonstrate the ability to maintain these items correctly and in a safe and timely manner.
- Use hand tools, hoists, pressure gauges, drills, grinding wheels, and other tools proficiently to carry out assigned tasks.
- Ability to properly align motors, reeve wire rope systems, lubricate necessary mechanical systems, diagnose and repair gearbox problems, maintain spreader bars, as well as understand and troubleshoot all mechanical aspects of a crane.
- Must be able to work shift work and long hours.
- Must be able to work at heights safely.
- Must be able to read and use factory manuals and blueprints as required to fulfill job assignments.
- Knowledge of safety precautions to deal with occupational hazards.
- Desirable to have skills in cutting, fabricating, laying out and welding of steel.
- All other tasks as assigned.
The ideal candidate must possess, at minimum, a high school diploma or GED equivalent. The right person will also have considerable knowledge of mechanics, repair and maintenance of heavy equipment, container cranes, and various Port related cargo handling equipment; as well as good knowledge of tools, rigging and wire rope reeving. Skills in cutting, fabricating, laying out and welding of steel strongly preferred. Certified welding preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communicator with exceptional time management, organization, and follow-up skills.
- Good knowledge in maintenance and repairs to waterfront facilities.
- Ability to determine the maintenance needs of operating equipment.
- Good knowledge of safety precautions necessary to deal with occupational hazards.
- Ability to access and operate standard vehicles and industrial equipment.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others.
- Must have a valid Texas Driver License. Must be able to obtain a Commercial Driver License, if required.
- Must be able to obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card within sixty (60) days of employment.
In return for your hardwork and dedication, we will provide you a career with great pay and benefits, training, advancement potential and a whole lot more, including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance immediately
- Life insurance
- Career paths
- Defined contribution retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- Sick time
When you take the first step with the Port of Houston Authority, you've taken the first step