Mechanical Design Engineer II - Automation
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/17/2016
END DATE 4/13/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONAbout Plexus Engineering Solutions
Plexus engineers serve as the product design and engineering engine for leading companies, across major industries.
Through our diverse range of product and technology solutions Plexus engineers impact lives throughout the globe. We deliver innovative solutions throughout the entire product lifecycle, from early concept development to manufacturing and beyond.
Supporting a large breadth and variety of products, Plexus engineers work in a fast-paced, high variety, technically challenging environment that provides intense technical and leadership development. Passionate about customers, our teams have an industry-leading record of technical achievement.
At Plexus, you will maximize the impact of your engineering and leadership talent.
Learn more about how Plexus Engineering Solutions can elevate your career through our video: https://vimeo.com/151433264
About The Neenah Design Center
Plexus Engineering Solutions Center of Excellence for over 35 years, The Neenah Design Center is home to over 200 engineers and designers providing quality, innovative designs to our customers around the World. Residing in East-Central Wisconsin, The Fox Valley Region is one of the largest & fastest growing urban centers in the state, having been recognized as one of the Best Small Places for Business and Careers by Forbes.com while also being named one of the Top 10 Best Affordable Places to Live. With a population of more than 230,000, The Fox Valley offers a unique and attractive blend of urban lifestyle and small-town culture with a wide variety of recreational activities for the outdoor enthusiast, all conveniently located only a short drive from Green Bay, Madison, Milwaukee and Chicago.
About the Job:
As a Mechanical Engineer at Plexus Engineering Solutions, you will apply and continuously develop your technical, problem solving, organizational and leadership skills to provide product development solutions which exceed our customers expectations. You will work in global cross functional project teams while interfacing directly with Plexus supply chain, vendors and customers throughout all stages of the product development life cycle.
Watch the following video to learn more about Plexus' Automation capabilities: https://vimeo.com/175745066/06b0223384
* Develop mechanical, product and system concepts at the system/part/component level that satisfy the customer's requirements. Transfer these ideas into manufacturable products using a variety of low-to-mid volume manufacturing processes
* Design mechatronic automation systems and subsystems utilizing Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools to generate database and documentation. Drive and participate in the design reviews, hands on fabrication, prototyping, and implementation of these systems.
* Optimize the performance of mechatronic products and automated systems through design changes and functional test
* Interface with outside partners and customers to drive timely delivery of mechanical systems
* Collaborate with Plexus controls, mechanical and automation engineers to design and develop mechatronic products through the integration of various mechanical and electrical subsystems
* Create a positive customer experience by presenting options to solve tough mechanical problems/issues and present trade-offs with guidance from other engineers as necessary
* Develop and execute mechanical design verification test plans per requirements and specifications to ensure prototypes meet design requirements
Skills & Abilities:
* Experience detailing parts using 3D CAD modeling tools and produce required 2D documentation and Bill of Materials in accordance with standard design practices such as ANSI.14, GD&T and general tolerance guidelines
* Strong understanding of electro-mechanical components and subsystems to achieve precise and highly repeatable motion and functionality
* System level understanding of existing robot technology and implementation for highly repeatable motion and functionality
* Understanding of engineering analysis techniques (FEA, CFD, Thermal, Fluids, etc.) and/or ability to compare results using lab tests/mock-ups. Ability to design experiments is highly desirable
* Strong problem-finding and problem-solving abilities with regard to mechanical design issues, DOE and root cause analysis
* Strong knowledge of plastic part design for injection molding
* Strong Computer Aided Design (CAD) modeling proficiency
* Possess a working knowledge of mechanical part/component design for manufacturing in a variety of processes such as blow molding, pressure and thermoforming, machining, casting, and/or sheet metal fabrication
* Ability to apply theoretical knowledge of design and mechanical engineering analysis/practices (i.e. materials, tolerances, component specifications, trade-off analysis, structural and thermal/fluid analysis calculations and tools)
* Ability to machine basic parts from plastic or metal when needed for quick prototype testing
* Previous project leadership and proven ability to work within predefined project schedules and budgets
* Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to articulate and present ideas internally/externally
Education & Experience:
* A minimum of Bachelor s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field is required for this position; a Master s degree in Mechanical Engineering is preferred.
* Experience of 3+ years in product development and/or mechatronic/automation mechanical system design, development and implementation is required for this position, assuming education requirements are met. .
* Experience with Pro/E and/or SolidWorks is required; experience performing complex surfacing & PDM is highly desirable.
QUALIFICATIONSAll offers of employment are contingent upon successfully passing a drug screen and upon completion of a confidentiality agreement.
Our Values and How We Lead behaviors guide our processes. Plexus does not make employment decisions based on race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and encourage all to apply today!
Globally, our policy is to recruit people from wide and diverse backgrounds. However, certain positions require access to controlled goods and technologies subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Applicants for these positions may need to be "U.S. Persons," which is generally defined as a U.S. citizen, permanent resident (green card holder), or individual granted political asylum.
Working At Plexus
Empowering People, Innovating Solutions, Achieving Excellence
Plexus is a global company that values your growth and development and knows that our success is the direct result of our empowered, hard-working and dedicated people. At Plexus you can push the boundaries of innovation and discover your highest potential. Whether you re an experienced professional or skilled manufacturer looking to expand and enhance your career, a recent graduate ready to make an impact or a student eager to gain hands on internship experience, you can make a difference with us.
At Plexus we provide opportunities for growth and development at every level and encourage all employees to be leaders. The foundation of our culture is built around Our Values and How We Lead behaviors exemplified by our Plexus People: Customer Focus, Relationships & Teamwork, Integrity, Open Communication, Excellence, Prioritize Our People, Solve Problems, Be Courageous, Be Strategic, and Innovate.
Our global operations allow us to attract people with broad and diverse backgrounds from all over the world. Discover why more than 12,500 dedicated individuals choose Plexus as the workplace of choice to grow their careers.