Mechanical Design Engineer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/25/2016
END DATE 11/16/2016
Santa Clara, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Description and Responsibilities
A senior level mechanical engineer in Coherent s DPSS (Diode Pumped Solid State Laser) business unit. This position will help support project managers in developing Coherent s Diode Pumped Q-Switched and Fiber lasers. The successful engineer will be challenged in developing highly competitive products working with the latest solid state laser technologies.
* Design and develop precision opto-mechanical parts and packaging for Diode pumped laser systems.
* Responsible for all mechanical designs, drawings, and revision control from prototyping to final product.
* Maintain best in class documentation including mechanical BOM and part number information control.
* Participate in design reviews.
* Must be self-motivated with the ability to meet deadlines.
* Must be able to perform in a distributed, diverse cross-functional team environment.
* Must have good engineering judgment and work independently making sound mechanical engineering decisions.
* Participate in product development teams as the primary mechanical design resource.
* Provide technical leadership in the design of opto-mechanical assemblies, molded parts, machined parts and tooling.
* Lead product development teams for products that have a high mechanical and opto-mechanical design content.
* Qualify and act as an engineering liaison to key outside vendors
* Act as a point of contact with Production on the transfer of new mechanical designs to manufacturing.
* Design and develop products while keeping cost, reliability and quality in mind.
* Participate in weekly and bi-weekly status reporting to functional and project management.
Education and Work Experience
Required Background and Education:
1) B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent experience)
2) 7 years of related experience
3) Technical experience in the following areas:
a) Precision Opto-mechanical part design
b) Machined part design
c) Sheet metal part design
d) Tooling design
e) Knowledge of heat transfer
f) Knowledge of vibration systems
g) Basic knowledge of optics
h) SolidDesigner CAD or equivalent
i) Agile (PDM tool) or equivalent
1) FEA, heat transfer and mechanical stress/strain calculation (Solidworks Simulation)
3) Project team member training and experience
4) Understanding of mechanical engineering best practices and knowledge of the product development process
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.