Medical Assistant I
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/14/2016
END DATE 12/1/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONUnder the direction of a registered nurse, the Medical Assistant I is responsible for assisting physicians, nurse practitioners and nurses with treatment of patients during office visits and other tasks related to the visit consistent with his/her training and skills.
His/her primary roles are to assure efficient patient flow through the office, to maintain neat, clean and safe patient care areas, and to promote patient satisfaction by interacting with patients in a professional, friendly manner consistent with their needs.
* Assures efficient patient flow through the office
* Assures patient Medical Record is complete prior to the visit
* Greets patient in waiting room and escorts to exam room
* Assists with admission process:
* checks patients Blue Card for identification
* documents chief complaint or symptom(s) in medical record, as stated by the patient
* documents current medications and prescriptions that need to be renewed
* reviews record for immunization needs
* Instructs patient how to prepare for the physician or nurse practitioner (assisting as necessary)
* Anticipates / sets up special equipment and/or supplies needed for the visit
* Alerts the physician or nurse practitioner when patient is ready and communicates pertinent clinical information
* Assists patient through check-out process when visit is complete
* Cleans and prepares room for next patient
* Responds to needs to expedite visits and keep on schedule
* Assists the physician or nurse practitioner with patient care during the visit.
* Adheres to hand hygiene and standard precaution guidelines
* Provides care appropriate to age group of patients in practice setting and documents data per practice protocols
* age-appropriate vital signs
* measurements (i.e. abdominal girth, calf and thigh circumference)
* height and weight
* Collects specimens during visit and as applicable provides instructions for specimen collection at home
* blood (phlebotomy)
* clean-voided urine
* finger sticks
* stool for occult blood
* rapid strep testing
* UCGs (pregnancy tests)
* assists with throat cultures and PAP smears
* Tests specimens as necessary
* blood glucose (glucometer)
* urine (dip stick)
* stool for occult blood
* Assists physician or nurse practitioner with patient examination, procedures, and treatments as directed
* Performs other tests, procedures, and treatments as directed
* visual acuity tests
* simple dry, sterile dressings
* 12 lead ECG
* pulmonary function screening tests
* applies hot/cold pack
* pulse oximetry
* storage and handling of liquid nitrogen
* Documents testing / results per practice protocols.
* Assists the physician, nurse practitioner or nurse with work outside the visit related to managing a panel of patients
* Performs designated tasks related to tracking test results and may communicate normal test results to patients as directed by a physician, nurse practitioner, or nurse
* Receives patient messages, reviews these with physicians, nurse practitioners or nurses per practice protocols, and takes action as directed
* Faxes, mails, or telephones in prescription renewals as directed by the prescribing provider and under the supervision of the prescriber or a nurse
* Assists physicians, nurse practitioners or nurses in coordinating care with / making referrals to community agencies for non-clinical services
* Maintains neat, clean, and safe exam rooms and treatment areas.
* Assures patient care areas are neat, clean, professional-looking
* Assures exam and treatment rooms are properly stocked, equipped, and secured as applicable
* Assures all equipment is in good working order
* Cleans equipment after patient use per office protocols
* Records refrigerator temperatures and alerts licensed clinician if out of range.
* Promotes patient / customer satisfaction by interacting with patients in a professional, friendly manner consistent with their needs
* Adheres to Human Resource policies with respect to attendance and dress code
* Adheres to MGH customer service philosophy in all patient interactions
* Communicates appropriately and effectively with patients
* Functions as an integral part of the patient care team
* Interacts in a professional, cooperative way with other practice staff
* Accepts delegate responsibilities in a positive manner
* Offers help to others in the practice when not busy
* Before leaving the practice on breaks / lunch makes sure adequate coverage is available
* Engages in constructive problem solving with others in the practice as problems arise
* Attends and participates in practice staff meetings
* Assists in orientation and training of new support staff
* May be asked to participate in 360 evaluations
* Performs any and all other functions as delegated or assigned
High school diploma or equivalent required.
Medical Assistant certification required
Basic Life Support certification preferred
Bilingual in Spanish preferred but not required
Phlebotomy experience required
Excellent customer service and communication skills
Ability to handle multiple tasks in a busy environment and see them through to completion
Accuracy and attention to detail
Computer skills-Outlook, Word
PMIS USER, PCIS, IDX, Paging System
Peak flow meters
Refrigerartor logs and temperature management
Storage and handling of liquid nitrogen
This is a 30 hour/week position. Hours are: Monday-Friday 9am - 3:30pm.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.