Medical Assistant I - Must have phlebotomy experience
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/23/2016
END DATE 11/13/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONResponsible for providing phlebotomy services in the lab to NEW/Health patients as ordered by treating providers. Responsible for assisting physicians, nurse practitioners and behavioral health therapists with evaluation, management, treatment of patients during office visits and other tasks related to the visit consistent with his/her training and skills in a team-based Patient-Centered Medical-Home environment. His/her primary roles are to assure efficient patient flow through the office, maintain neat, clean and safe patient care areas, and to promote patient satisfaction by interacting with patients in a professional, friendly manner consistent with their needs.
* Phlebotomy skills on adult/pediatric patients
* Perform routine lab procedures on premises (waived testing)
* Accurate record keeping and logging of all tests in-house or sent to outside lab per lab procedures
* Distribute lab results to appropriate providers and data entry personnel as needed
* Keep filing up-to-date
* Order supplies as needed
* Maintain quality control records
* Perform any other duties as requested by supervisor
SUPPORTING CLINICAL TEAM TO ENSURE EFFECTIVE PATIENT FLOW
Assure patients medical records are complete prior to visit. Scrub records in order to update physician on pending clinical updates for each patient. Huddle with physician/ nurse practitioner/ BH therapist prior to the beginning of the session to discuss various tasks that may have to be updated on each patient.
Greet patients in waiting area and escort to exam room.
Assist with admission process:
* Use double identifier to determine accurate patient information
* Document chief complaint or symptoms in the medical record
* Document current medications and prescriptions that need to be renewed
* Review records for immunization needs
* Perform EKGs per order of clinician
Instruct patient how to prepare for the physician or nurse practitioner (assisting, if necessary)
Anticipate and set up special equipment and/or supplies needed for the visit.
Alert the physician or nurse practitioner when the patient is ready and communicate pertinent clinical information.
Assist provider as required
Interpret or assist with accessing interpretation through telephonic access during visit as required
Assist patient through check-out process
Prepare room for next patient
Respond to needs to expedite visits and keep providers on schedules
Stock examination room
ASSIST PHYSICIAN OR NURSE PRACTITIONER WITH PATIENT CARE DURING THE VISIT
Adhere to hand hygiene and standard precaution guidelines.
Provide care appropriate to age group of patients in practice setting and document data per practice protocols:
* Take and record age-appropriate vital signs
* Measurements and recording of BMI (height and weight)
Provide instructions for specimen collection
* clean voided urine
* stool for occult blood
* rapid strep testing (drop off)
* UCGs (pregnancy tests)
* Assist with throat cultures and pap smears
Assist physician or nurse practitioner with patient examination, procedures, and treatments, as directed.
Perform other tests, procedures and treatments, as directed.
* simple, dry sterile dressings
* Pulmonary function tests
Document testing/results per practice protocols
ASSIST THE PHYSICIAN OR NURSE PRACTITIONER WITH WORK OUTSIDE THE VISIT RELATED TO MANAGING A PANEL OF PATIENTS.
Perform designated tasks related to tracking test results and may communicate normal test results to patient as directed by physician or nurse practitioner.
Receive patient messages, review with physician or nurse practitioner (teams) and take action as directed.
Expedite prescription renewals as directed by the prescribing provider.
Assist physicians and nurse practitioners in coordinating care with/making referrals to community agencies for non-clinical services by referring patients to the Resource Specialist on staff (team).
MAINTAIN NEAT, CLEAN, AND SAFE EXAM ROOMS AND TREATMENT AREAS.
Assure patient care areas are neat, clean, and professional looking.
Assure exam and treatment rooms are properly stocked, equipped, and secured, as applicable.
Assure all equipment is in good working order.
Clean equipment after patient use per office protocols.
PROMOTE PATIENT/CUSTOMER SATISFACTION BY INTERACTING WITH PATIENTS IN A PROFESSIONAL, FRIENDLY MANNER CONSISTENT WITH THEIR NEEDS.
Adhere to Human Resources policies re: attendance and dress code.
Adhere to customer service philosophy in all patient interactions.
Communicate appropriately and effectively with patient.
FUNCTION AS AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE PATIENT CARE TEAM
Interact in a professional, cooperative way with other staff and team members.
Accept delegated responsibilities in a positive manner.
Offer help to others when not busy.
Before leaving the practice for breaks/lunch, make sure adequate coverage is available.
Engage in constructive problem solving with team members.
Attend and participate in huddles and staff meetings on a regular basis.
* Minimum of high school diploma, GED or equivalent required
* Graduate of approved Medical Assistant program required
* Medical Assistant and Basic Life Support certification required.
* One to two years experience, preferably in an ambulatory setting preferred.
* Phlebotomy experience on adults and children required
* Current Basic CPR certification required
* Must be fluent in Spanish.
* Good communication skills
* Good phlebotomy skills
* Experience performing waived testing procedures
* Sound judgment and problem solving ability.
* Ability to prioritize
* Ability to handle multiple tasks in a busy environment and see them through to completion
* Accuracy and attention to detail.
* Computer literacy (ability to use Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, scheduling system, tracking tools)
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.