Medical Assistant - Primary Care (Central Seattle, 1.0 FTE)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/16/2016
END DATE 11/1/2016
Group Health Cooperative
JOB DESCRIPTIONWhat does it mean to work at Group Health?
At Group Health, our mission is to enrich peoples lives by improving health. As a Group Health employee, your role is to deliver on that mission every day by living our valuesCustomer Focus, Accountability, Innovation, Excellence, and Integrity. You take initiative, set goals, and solve problems while collaborating with friends and colleagues. Together we make a meaningful impact on our community.
In return, Group Health is committed to providing you competitive pay, excellent benefits, and an opportunity to make a difference each day as we strive to reach our vision to be the preferred health care partner by excelling in quality, service, and affordability.
** Only applications with active credential status of Medical Assistant-Certified or Interim-Medical Assistant Certified with the Washington Department of Health will be considered.**
The Medical Assistant (1.0 FTE) at Central Medical Center in Seattle is an integral member of the healthcare team. Provides direct and indirect nursing care to patients in routine nursing situations, under the direction and supervision of a registered nurse or provider. Functions under the direct supervision of the RN or provider in complex situations in which the patient is unstable or requires urgent or emergent care.
Schedule is Monday through Friday from 8:00AM - 5:00PM.
* Team/Practice manage daily virtual work, organize work to promote team/provider efficiency, collaborate with provider for daily needs/schedule coordination, review provider schedule and anticipate needs, keep visits running on time, communicate delays with patients, manage same-day schedule additions, provide support for patient forms completion, stock supplies as needed between patient visits
* Clinic Flow/Office Management Computer literacy scheduling software, e-mail, electronic medical records (Epic)
* Prepare visit per Medical Home Model Standards (MHM)
* Participate in daily huddles: Review reason for visit & last visit summary to anticipate visit support needs. Review daily schedule with provider to identify specific needs for visit.
* Exam room preparation
* Special Needs Anticipate age-specific needs, anticipate need for special forms, use resources for interpretive services
* Patient Orientation & Check-in: document weight, VS, reason for visit & concerns or questions patient wants provider to address, review medications, coordinate visit with RN when needed, enter orders when appropriate, communicate with provider regarding special needs, follow policies for patient confidentiality
* Patient Discharge and Visit Completion Assist patient during and after visit, ensure completion of forms, coordinate care with needed ancillary services, instruct patient for next steps, process specimens as needed, clean & maintain equipment, clean exam room in prep for next patient
* Call and Inbasket Management follow Group Health guidelines for call and message handling per scope of practice, follow work flow standards, document call in electronic medical record
* Telephone Management and Follow-up Recognize urgent/emergency situations and refer appropriate calls to licensed staff as needed, encourage patient to use on-line Group Health resources when appropriate, conduct follow-up calls, provide preventive care instruction when directed/appropriate, screen messages and forward as appropriate
* Patient Care Use safety and universal precautions
* Perform nursing procedures per scope of practice take and record vital signs, postural vital signs and apical pulse, adult vaccines, perform EKG (depending on care setting)
* Assist with cast care and removal recognize cast problems
* Referral Management Processing referrals, reviewing referral status, providing patient with instructions, assist patient in making appointments as appropriate, follow referral guidelines as delegated by the provider, use urgent or emergent designation as directed
Set up and assist with procedures such as:
* Female Reproductive System -Set up and assist with: pelvic exam, pap smears, wet prep, cultures, vaginal warts, diaphragm fitting, cervical cap fitting, endometrial biopsy, colposcopy and reproductive implant insertions
* OB/GYN - Assist with monitoring & documenting fetal heart tones using Doppler, under direction
* Perform ear irrigation for wax removal, vision screening test, Tympanogram when appropriate
* Pediatrics use oral, rectal, transdermal and tympanic thermometer, measure and record head circumference, length/height, weight on infant scale or standing scale, plot and print growth grid, provide consent forms and patient information for immunizations, provide age-appropriate Healthy Kids/Healthy Future handouts
* Specimen Collection Urine: Voided/midstream, culture, straining urine, bagged urine. Stool: Hemoccult test, culture ova and parasites. Sputum, expectorated: culture & cytology. Provide patient instruction & travel directions when needed
* Acute Care Assist with procedures as directed, perform selected nursing procedures
* Other Procedures Positioning techniques including recovery position, supine, Trendelenberg/reverse Trendelenberg, Sims, Lithotomy/Dorsosacral Position, Fowlers/Semi-Fowlers, Log roll
Preferred: Family Practice MA experience including obstetrics and pediatrics
Minimum: Basic or limited knowledge and skills listed on the Group Health Medical Assistant Competencies/Skills Inventory.
Preferred: Knowledge of Patient Centered Integrated Care Model
Minimum: High School/GED. Graduate of accredited program as Medical Assistant.
Minimum: At time of hire Medical Assistant-Certified credential or Interim Medical Assistant-Certified credential. Washington State Department of Health issued credential. Interim credential expires 1 year from date of issuance. Able to obtain shortly after hire Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification or must obtain within 90 days of hire.
Group Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status.
J2W code: NUR5E, D1V