Medical Assistant - Primary Care Float (Per Diem, East King)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/18/2016
END DATE 4/3/2017
Group Health Cooperative
JOB DESCRIPTIONKaiser Permanente Washington, headquartered in Seattle, Washington, provides and coordinates complete health care services for more than 650,000 members through 26 medical centers. Founded in 1947, Kaiser Permanente Washington existed for nearly 70 years as Group Health Cooperative, a regional nonprofit which gained national recognition for medical quality, disease prevention, and evidence-based treatments. Kaiser Permanente welcomed Group Health, its medical centers and members, into the Kaiser Permanente family in 2017 creating Kaiser Permanente's eighth region. Kaiser Permanente of Washington is a total health organization comprising Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington, and the Washington Permanente Medical Group, P.C., formerly Group Health Physicians, an independent medical group that features more than 1,000 physicians. Only applications with active credential status of Medical Assistant- Certified or Interim-Medical Assistant Certified with the Washington Department of Health will be considered.
The Medical Assistant (Per Diem) in the East King Primary Care Float Pool is an integral member of the healthcare team. Provides direct and indirect nursing care to patients in routine nursing situations, under the direction and supervision of a registered nurse or provider. Functions under the direct supervision of the RN or provider in complex situations in which the patient is unstable or requires urgent or emergent care.
This position will float between the Bellevue, Redmond, Factoria, and Renton Medical Centers. Selected candidate must have access to reliable transportation.
* Team/Practice manage daily virtual work, organize work to promote team/provider efficiency, collaborate with provider for daily needs/schedule coordination, review provider schedule and anticipate needs, keep visits running on time, communicate delays with patients, manage same-day schedule additions, provide support for patient forms completion, stock supplies as needed between patient visits
* Clinic Flow/Office Management Computer literacy scheduling software, e-mail, electronic medical records (Epic)
* Prepare visit per Medical Home Model Standards (MHM)
* Participate in daily huddles: Review reason for visit & last visit summary to anticipate visit support needs. Review daily schedule with provider to identify specific needs for visit.
* Exam room preparation
* Special Needs Anticipate age-specific needs, anticipate need for special forms, use resources for interpretive services
* Patient Orientation & Check-in: document weight, VS, reason for visit & concerns or questions patient wants provider to address, review medications, coordinate visit with RN when needed, enter orders when appropriate, communicate with provider regarding special needs, follow policies for patient confidentiality
* Patient Discharge and Visit Completion Assist patient during and after visit, ensure completion of forms, coordinate care with needed ancillary services, instruct patient for next steps, process specimens as needed, clean & maintain equipment, clean exam room in prep for next patient
* Call and Inbasket Management follow Group Health guidelines for call and message handling per scope of practice, follow work flow standards, document call in electronic medical record
* Telephone Management and Follow-up Recognize urgent/emergency situations and refer appropriate calls to licensed staff as needed, encourage patient to use on-line Group Health resources when appropriate, conduct follow-up calls, provide preventive care instruction when directed/appropriate, screen messages and forward as appropriate
* Patient Care Use safety and universal precautions
* Perform nursing procedures per scope of practice take and record vital signs, postural vital signs and apical pulse, adult vaccines, perform EKG (depending on care setting)
* Assist with cast care and removal recognize cast problems
* Referral Management Processing referrals, reviewing referral status, providing patient with instructions, assist patient in making appointments as appropriate, follow referral guidelines as delegated by the provider, use urgent or emergent designation as directed
SET UP AND ASSIST WITH PROCEDURES SUCH AS:
* Female Reproductive System -Set up and assist with: pelvic exam, pap smears, wet prep, cultures, vaginal warts, diaphragm fitting, cervical cap fitting, endometrial biopsy, colposcopy and reproductive implant insertions
* OB/GYN - Assist with monitoring & documenting fetal heart tones using Doppler, under direction
* Perform ear irrigation for wax removal, vision screening test, Tympanogram when appropriate
* Pediatrics use oral, rectal, transdermal and tympanic thermometer, measure and record head circumference, length/height, weight on infant scale or standing scale, plot and print growth grid, provide consent forms and patient information for immunizations, provide age-appropriate Healthy Kids/Healthy Future handouts
* Other Procedures Positioning techniques including recovery position, supine, Trendelenberg/reverse Trendelenberg, Sims, Lithotomy/Dorsosacral Position, Fowlers/Semi-Fowlers, Log roll
* Specimen Collection Urine: Voided/midstream, culture, straining urine, bagged urine. Stool: Hemoccult test, culture ova and parasites. Sputum, expectorated: culture & cytology. Provide patient instruction & travel directions when needed
* Acute Care Assist with procedures as directed, perform selected nursing procedures
J2W code: Temporary
Minimum Education Requirements
High School Diploma/GED
Vocational School/Certificate Prog Graduate of accredited program as Medical Assistant.
Minimum Knowledge/Skills Requirements
Basic or limited Knowledge and skills listed on the Group Health Medical Assistant Competencies/Skills Inventory.
Minimum Experience Requirements
Minimum License/Certifications Requirements
At time of hire Medical Assistant-Certified credential or Interim Medical Assistant-Certified credential. Washington State Department of Health issued credential. Interim credential expires 1 year from date of issuance.
Able to obtain shortly after hire Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification or must obtain within 90 days of hire.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.