Medical Director 8/31/2016
United States Postal Service
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY FUNCTIONAL PURPOSE
Develops, implements, and manages national medical services and medical
information programs for the Postal Service.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Manages the national Occupational Health Service (OHS) program.
* Establishes, reviews and modifies policies and procedures for the operation and oversight of medical and medically related programs for the areas and districts to include, but not limited to, applicant and employee medical suitability; health education; administration of screening tests; and disability and fitness for duty determinations.
* Participates in the development of programs and initiatives directed toward employee wellness, analyzes information concerning employee health problems, establishes effective performance measurement criteria to plan for and evaluate public health services, evaluates the effectiveness of existing methods and procedures, identifies current trends in the industry and prepares reports and recommendations, if necessary, for adjustments to the Postal Service OHS program.
* Has oversight of the Medical Services Administration budgets and organizational change initiatives.
* Serves as a liaison to National and Area Human Resources programs and committees as a medical Subject Matter Expert regarding the Family Medical Leave Act, Reasonable Accommodation Injury Compensation, Safety, Supply Chain Management and as the primary medical consultant to all levels of Postal Service Management and offices.
* Develops, manages and oversees OHS Program training in support of medically related services for the Areas and Districts.
* Provides technical/functional guidance and oversight to Associate Medical Directors concerning occupational health services and other related programs and in the interpretation of regulatory requirements, accreditation standards and controls to ensure quality assurance and compliance.
* Supervises a medium-sized group of professional and administrative employees.
1. Possess a Medical Doctor degree or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
2. Knowledge of federal laws and regulations related to employee and
workplace health and safety issues (e.g., FECA, ADA, FMLA, and DOT
3. Experience demonstrating skill applying knowledge of healthcare
management principles and current trends in the healthcare industry
4. Experience demonstrating skill managing and overseeing the
development of cost effective programs and policies that support medical
services and the medical information needs of an organization including
medical assessments, employment screenings, health education and
counseling, disability and fitness for duty determinations, and/or
hygiene and sanitation programs.
5. Experience demonstrating skill providing medical guidance,
expertise and oversight to others (e.g., Senior Medical Directors,
legal, etc) in the operation of quality improvement and utilization
management programs in accordance with regulatory, state, corporate and
accreditation requirements to prevent injuries, control disease
outbreaks, address public health emergencies and promote public health.
6. Experience demonstrating skill providing leadership, guidance and
direction in the development and implementation of health promotion and
education programs to ensure the wellness and medical related
suitability of employees and applicants (e.g., immunization services,
blood pressure and glaucoma screenings, blood bank programs, etc.).
7. Experience demonstrating skill establishing effective performance
measurement criteria to plan for and evaluate Occupational Health
services consistent with public health requirements.
8. Experience demonstrating skill reducing financial and operational
liabilities associated with mismanaged medical and medically related
9. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with, and
provide health and safety policy and program guidance to management,
Human Resources staff, and contract medical personnel.
10. Ability to communicate, orally and in writing, to represent the
Postal Service in injury compensation cases, accident review boards,
ergonomic worksite evaluations, crisis management, and to provide expert
testimony in hearings and arbitration.