Medical Laboratory Technician
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/3/2016
END DATE 10/29/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
Performs all repetitive tests which necessitates a knowledge of laboratory techniques and instruments, and the ability to recognize factors which directly affect procedures and results.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Processes specimens to be evaluated.
2. Performs repetitive analyses offered by the section accurately and efficiently according to established procedures
3. Maintains accurate and orderly records of tests performed
4. Performs, evaluates, interprets and documents quality control of equipment and procedures within established guidelines.
5. Performs routine equipment preventive maintenance and minor repair
6. Recognizes problems, identifies causes, and takes corrective action and consults a medical technologist or manager if no preset criteria are available
7. Conveys knowledge competently to students, new employees, and others in encouraging and interesting ways
8. Generally works well with others making contributions to the work effort as a whole. Facilitates problem resolution. Communication to promote both efforts is clear and professional.
9. Readily implements new and revised procedures.
10. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values state
11. Demonstrates ServicePRIDE standards.
12. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
13. Performs other duties as assigned. Utilizes spare time to seek out and complete extra tasks.
Must have an associate s degree in a related field and either successful completion of an accredited Medical Laboratory Technician program, or completion of a combination of education and experience as defined by American Society of Clinical Pathology as alternate routes for eligibility for the MLT (ASCP) exam.
Minimum of one year of work or training experience in a large hospital laboratory.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Must be certified as a Medical Laboratory Technician MLT (or categorical certification) by the Board of Registry (ASCP). Must be board eligible upon hire and must successfully pass the ASCP registry exam within one calendar year from date of hire.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Knowledge in processes and procedures and skills of the specific work area.
* Ability to effectively communicate with verbal and written communication.
* Ability to build and sustain interpersonal relationships.
* Ability to analyze and solve problems.
* Must meet the requirements on the competency checklist for an assigned work area.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.