Medical Technician/ Technologist-Urinalysis
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/27/2016
END DATE 10/13/2016
Bio-Reference Laboratories, Inc.
Elmwood Park, NJ
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Purpose: Perform all duties of Technologist/Technician in the urine Department, specifically urine, chemistry and urinalysis testing
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties may include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
1. Follows written lab procedures for the correct handling and processing of specimens. Performs lab procedures of moderate and high complexity in accordance with standards set forth in sectional laboratory procedures.
2. Wears proper PPE while handling samples or controls.
3. Accurately reads and interprets the tests. Records, transcribes maintains records of patient test results according to protocol. Assists other personnel with identifying and analyzing inconsistent and abnormal results.
4. Reviews accuracy and completeness of results prior to releasing in the Laboratory Information System. Recognizes unexpected or unreasonable results and/or testing delays. Identifies the cause and takes appropriate action. Applies professional knowledge and judgment to analytical and decision making. Escalates all problems that can t be solves immediately to the Lead Technologist or Supervisor.
5. Performs quality control procedures established for each method and maintains accurate records. Reviews and analyzes quality control data, identifies QC trends or problems, makes judgments and takes appropriate corrective action. Prior to releasing any test result.
6. Follows protocols for acceptance/rejection of patient results.
7. Performs and reports proficiency testing according to protocol.
8. Brings unusual situations to the attention of the supervisor. (May be specimens reporting problems with the LIS).
9. Completes routine and STAT testing within acceptable turn-around time guidelines.
10. Reviews Pending Logs, researches and resolves missing specimen issues. If unable to resolve issue, then the issue must be given to someone on the next shift to continue the process to resolve.
11. Locating and transporting specimens.
12. Operates laboratory instruments and performs routine maintenance & procedural calibrations. Diagnoses, troubleshoots and documents all lab instrument and / or reagent problems. Performs preventative and corrective maintenance/repairs and maintains records of actions. Contacts technical services representatives when necessary to resolve problems.
13. Participates in the evaluation and development of new procedures, methods and instruments.
14. Assists in the orientation and training of new employees. Participates in the training of technical staff and monitors their progress with supervisor. Serves as a resource to peers and other personnel.
15. Maintains an up to date working knowledge of all technical procedures in the department and operations of all instrumentation. Manipulate and operate simple and complex laboratory equipment including computers; may perform maintenance and limited tear down and replacement of parts of laboratory equipment; problem-solve equipment malfunctions.
16. Maintains a clean and well organized work area with adequate supplies. Assures that adequate department supply levels are maintained. Orders supplies as necessary.
17. Meets and adheres to all state and federal requirements.
1. Interpersonal and Communication Skills.
2. Ability to express ideas and report findings in a comprehensive and thorough manner. Answers inquiries regarding methodology and special factors that can influence test results.
3. Interacts with co-workers in a way that promotes a harmonious and cooperative working environment.
4. Develops and promotes a patient first attitude towards all internal and external associates of the laboratory.
5. Applies principles of confidentiality in all laboratory and patient matters.
6. Presents a professional appearance and manner.
7. Attends laboratory sponsored Continuing Education Programs when provided and/ or uses Media Lab for Continuing Education credits to acquire the yearly 20 CEU requirement.
8. Acknowledges how to use Time Utilization. Otherwise will notify supervisor of any overtime that will need to be required and before any OT has been occurred.
9. Must be able to remain calm and professional, even under stressful conditions.
10. May be required to adjust schedule, at the needs/demands of the company.
11. May be required to work on their feet for long periods of time at instruments, with minimal sit down time.
12. May be required to lift up to 20 pounds.
13. If position requires manual reading at a microscope, a prequalification test will be required.
14. If position requires manual reading at a microscope, the job may require more sit down time.
15. May perform special assignments or projects as assigned.
Medical Technologist-Urinalysis Schedule is Sunday 9pm-5:30am, Monday-Thursday 10pm-6:30am
BioReference Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum requirement is a 2 year AAS degree in Medical Laboratory Technology or science related for a technician.
Minimum requirement is a 4 year BS degree in Medical Technology, Biology, Chemistry or science related for a technologist.
Experience with Siemens AUQi, Roche C501, Urine Microscopic and confirmatory testing, urine pregnancy testing.
Must pass a qualification test before hire.