Medical Technologist 9/14/2016
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION: The Department of Pathology is integrally involved with the diagnosis of cancer and other major medical conditions through the gross and microscopic examination of tissue samples obtained from surgical procedures and endoscopy (Anatomic Pathology). Our department also provides clinical laboratory services to the hospital as well as consult services in the areas of clinical chemistry, hematopathology, microbiology, and transfusion medicine (Clinical Pathology).
Prepares blood bank specimens for testing and processing. Types and crossmatches patient specimens for transfusion. Organized and calm when providing blood products in the setting of a massive transfusion. Competent in antibody identification and performing complex serological investigations. Experience with component preparation for the adult and neonate patient. Irradiates Blood products.
This is a part time 16 hours per week rotating shifts with weekends and holidays included.
JOB LOCATION: Boston, MA
REQ ID: 18188BR
JOB SUMMARY: Performs tests, confirms accuracy of results and reports laboratory findings to the Pathologists and other Clinicians.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Prepares blood bank specimens for testing and processing. Types and crossmatches patient specimens for transfusion. Organized and calm when providing blood products in the setting of a massive transfusion.Competent in antibody identification and performing complex serological investigations. Experience with component preparation for the adult and neonate patient. Irradiates Blood products.
* Performs start-up, maintenance, and troubleshooting procedures on instruments and laboratory equipment per established laboratory protocols. Performs and evaluates QC and calibration, and data entry and assessment.
* Prepars specimens for examination. Performs complex chemical, biological, hematological, immunologic, microscopic, and bacteriological tests. Uses automated equipment and instruments capable of performing tests simultaneously. Analyzes samples for chemical content or other properties.
* Tests for electolytes, enzymes and drug levels in the blood. Examines blood and other fluids for normal and abnormal cells and counts cells using a microscope. Makes cultures of body fluids and tissue samples to determine the presence of bacteria, fungi, parasites, and other organisms. Types and crossmatches blood samples for transfusions and prepares products for transfusion.
* Evaluates test results, enterisng results into the LIS and reports results to clinicians. Ensures accuracy of test results.
* Keeps current with developments in laboratory medicine by mandatory and voluntary continuing education, competency testing and Quality Assurance. Participates in the running and resulting of mandated Proficiency Testing Samples.
* Bachelor's degree in Medical Laboratory or Life Sciences required.
* Registration ASCP Registered preferred.
* 0-1 years related work experience required.
* Successful completion of a clinical internship.
* Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
* Clinical laboratory experience.
* Medical Technician (MT) Certification
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
AGE BASED COMPETENCIES:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus