This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/30/2016
END DATE 4/26/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
JOB SUMMARY: Performs both simple and complex analysis, which necessitates knowledge of laboratory techniques, principles, and equipment and their interrelationship.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Processes specimens to be evaluated.
2. Performs and interprets analyses offered by the laboratory accurately and efficiently according to established procedures. Able to perform phlebotomy if necessary.
3. Maintains accurate and orderly records of tests performed.
4. Uses independent judgment and discretion to recognize problems, identify causes and take corrective action. Facilitates problem resolution.
5. Generally works well with others making contributions to the work effort as a whole. Facilitates problem resolution. Communication to promote both efforts is clear and professional.
6. Performs, evaluates, interprets and documents quality control of equipment and procedures within established guidelines.
7. Performs and documents routine equipment preventive maintenance and minor repairs.
8. Assists in training new employees as assigned by Coordinator / Manager / Director.
9. Readily assists in development and/or implementation of new or revised procedures.
10. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence).
11. Demonstrates Customer Service standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for one patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
12. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
13. Performs other duties as assigned, which include assisting with staffing needs across the service line as competencies allow.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor degree in a related field required
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Minimum of 1 year of work or training experience in a hospital laboratory.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED: Must be certified as a Medical Technologist MT (or categorical certification) by the Board of Registry (ASCP), OR as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS (or categorical certification) by NCA.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
* Knowledge of the functional discipline of the work area.
* Knowledge of work area processes and procedures.
* Skill in developing and maintaining interpersonal relationships as required in the operating environment.
* Skill in verbal and written communication.
* Skill in planning and organizing the work area.
* Ability to analyze and solve problems.
* Must meet the requirements on the competency checklist for assigned work area.
* Computer knowledge with ability to utilize LMIS, systems and applications
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.