Medical Technology Coordinator - Evenings
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/9/2016
END DATE 12/8/2016
Sugar Land, TX
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
Coordinates the operational aspects of the laboratory to deliver quality laboratory results efficiently and cost effectively by assisting the Manager/Director in the day-to-day operations of the laboratory. Assists in providing leadership, guidance and direction to staff. Maintains technical knowledge and competency as a medical technologist generalist.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
For technologists performing Bleeding Times and Phlebotomy, all age group competencies must be met.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assists the Manager/Director in the day to day operation of the laboratory section by assessing the laboratory s needs at beginning of shift; reallocating resources based on need; initiating daily communication with Manager/Director to update him/her of status, problems, or any pertinent information; handling problems in the absence of the Manager/Director and communicating those on the Manager/Director s return; assuring accuracy of time and attendance reports; overseeing implementation of new procedures; and compiling data for Manager/Director as requested. Works closely with the Medical Director(s) to ensure quality and timeliness of laboratory test results.
2. Promotes an environment of respect and dignity through positive communication; demonstrating sensitivity to coworkers needs in special/unusual situations; protecting the privacy of coworkers and patients and keeping information confidential; communicating openly in a non-judgmental and professional demeanor during all interactions with coworkers; conveying knowledge competently to new employees and others in encouraging and interesting ways.
3. Maintains professional and technical competence in the computerized laboratory setting. Able to assist with phlebotomy if necessary.
4. Maintains technical knowledge as a generalist in the laboratory and proactively assesses workflow processes and recommends action plan(s) for change.
5. Proactively takes responsibility for learning new material, testing, instrumentation, etc, that becomes incorporated into the laboratory by readily implementing the new and/or revised procedures.
6. Coordinates the acquisition and inventory of supplies in a cost effective manner.
7. Assists in meeting accreditation and governmental agency standards.
8. Assures timely results are reported in situations of instrumentation failure or personnel shortages by assessing workflow and staffing patterns, as well as coordinating instrument maintenance and repairs to insure minimal down time.
9. Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement and complies with business practices standards for performance.
10. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
11. Demonstrates high standards in providing customer service and patient satisfaction.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
Must have a bachelor degree in related field.
Must have a minimum of 3 years of related experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Must be certified by the Board of Registry (ASCP, NCA or discipline specific registry).
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Knowledge of the functional discipline to be coordinated.
Knowledge of departmental processes and procedures.
Skill in developing and maintaining interpersonal relationships as required in the operating environment.
Skill in verbal and written communication.
Skill in planning, organizing and delegating functional activities.
Skill in coaching and developing the functional skills of others.
Ability to analyze and solve problems on a broader scope.
See attached ADA activities checklist. Reasonable accommodation will be made to these requirements to enable individuals with disabilities to perform this work as required.
Indoor work. Normal hospital laboratory with typical hospital environmental hazards and concerns. Standard computerized laboratory setting. Universal blood and body fluid precautions are followed utilizing personal protective equipment and engineering controls.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.