Medical Transcriptionist -26077
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/9/2016
END DATE 11/1/2016
West Virginia University Hospital
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB DESCRIPTION
Medical Transcriptionist (26077)
Health Information Management
Medical Transcription Manager
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* High School Diploma or GED is required.
* Specific training as a medical transcription preferred
* Medical Terminology highly required
* One to two years experience as a medical transcriptionist in a hospital setting preferred
* Anatomy and Physiology highly preferred
Certificates, Licenses, Registration:
o Certified Medical Transcriptionist (CMT) highly preferred
Ability to type 60 WPM
SUMMARY: Transcribes or edits technical medical data from recorded dictation; records patient information for accurate maintenance of transcription records. Quantitative and qualitative requirements are determined as noted in Health Information Management Transcriptionist Incentive Program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Transcribes and edits medical reports, such as discharge summaries, operative reports, cardiac catheterization reports, and radiology reports from recorded dictation in an accurate manner as assigned.
1.1 Transcribes and edits medical reports from recorded dictation in an accurate manner as assigned.
1.2 Ensures the correct spelling and usage of medical terms and other words, correct punctuation and grammar, and makes necessary corrections without changing sentence meaning. Uses medical dictionaries and reference books to check spelling and definitions of words.
1.3 Assists other transcriptionists in identifying terminology from difficult vocal deliveries and regional variations in terminology usage.
1.4 Assists in training new transcriptionists as assigned.
1.5 Sustained periods of concentration and an intense level of mental/visual effort is required because the work is performed under very close limits of accuracy.
2. Performs duties related to the operation of office equipment and other clerical tasks necessary to complete transcription and electronic distribution of reports.
2.1 Operates a computer to accurately transcribe medical reports.
2.2 Verifies patient information and correct placement of printing on the page. Routes reports for distribution to departments.
2.3 Occasionally is required to lift a computer and/or monitor.
3. Adheres to qualitative and quantitative standards of the Health Information Management Transcription Incentive Program and performs clerical duties necessary to track incentive plan requirements.
3.1 Maintains productivity and accuracy as specified in the West Virginia University Hospital Health Information Management Transcription Incentive Program.
3.2 Maintains a daily record of information necessary to track incentive program requirements.
3.3 Records non-transcription time (i.e., staff meetings, CBL completion, etc.) accurately on daily basis.
4. Answers telephone when necessary and provides accurate information to authorized persons.
4.1 Answers telephone in a courteous manner with self-identification.
4.2 Takes messages from physicians regarding STAT dictations and ensures the transcription of these reports.
4.3 Provides information to authorized persons within the hospital regarding the transcription of reports.
PERFORMANCE STANDARD: Adheres to the established Performance Expectations for WVUH Employees in the areas of People, Service, Performance Improvement, Shared Values & Culture.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Ability to sit for long periods of time
* Ability to perform occasional light work including standing, walking and bending, as well as lifting weights from 11-20 pounds
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Standard office environment