Mental Health Technician
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/10/2016
END DATE 10/10/2016
Laurel Oaks Behavioral Health Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Description:
Laurel Oaks Behavioral Health Center is a 118 bed Acute
Psychiatric Hospital and Residential Treatment Center
for children and adolescents ages four through eighteen.
The 55,000 square foot facility is situated on
approximately 10 acres in the southeast corner of
Alabama, less than 20 miles from both Florida and
Georgia. In addition to the living units, the facility
houses our full service cafeteria and New Day Academy; a
state-supported year-round K-12th grade school with
vocational opportunities. We provide numerous
recreational activities including an in-ground swimming
pool, game room, playground, basketball courts, and
The multi-disciplinary staff at Laurel Oaks collaborates
to ensure that services provided are clinically and
medically appropriate and highly coordinated among all
treatment disciplines. Laurel Oaks specializes in the
treatment of youth who have multiple challenges and
special needs. All children served at Laurel Oaks have a
primary psychiatric disorder but most also have
co-occurring conditions such as intellectual
disabilities, learning disabilities, and/or
physical/sexual abuse victimization.
Laurel Oaks Behavioral Health Center currently has
Mental Health Technician positions available on the
night shift for Acute and Residential units. The
candidate selected will be responsible for the following:
* Assists the Unit Director in the overall management
of the milieu with an aim towards creating and
maintaining the most therapeutic environment
* Maintains line of sight supervision of assigned
patients at all times. The MHT constantly walks the
unit observing each patient in his/her bedroom every
1 or 2 minutes unless otherwise directed by the
* Provides care to patients in a manner that ensures
patients' safety, protection of patient s rights,
maximal patient comfort, and the optimal therapeutic
* Observes patient behavior and notifies Unit
Director, Therapist, and appropriate nursing staff
of pertinent information and documents in progress
* Assists patients with activities of daily living
encouraging independent behavior when appropriate,
including direct physical care of patient when
necessary or as directed (i.e., feeding, bathing,
dressing, and ambulating).
* Remains in patient areas whenever possible to assist
patients and visitors.
* Serves as a role model for patients by consistently
displaying positive and appropriate attitude,
behavior, language, attire and appearance, etc.
* Assists with physical interventions with patients in
response to required codes while under the direct
supervision of the Unit Director and/or lead crisis
response team member (must have previously completed
CPR and Handle With Care).
* Documents according to established policies and
* Utilizes the Master Treatment Plan to determine the
best intervention to use with a given patient
* Interactions with patients are goal-oriented and
conducted in a professional manner.
* Enforces unit, school and group rules by using
verbal re-direction, positive reminders of rewards
and earning points, and reminders of expected
* Provides assistance to patients and education staff
as directed by the teacher or principal during
* Transports patients to the nurse s station at
assigned medication administration times.
* High School diploma or equivalent required.
* Associates or bachelor s degree in a mental health,
psychology, or related field preferred.
* Experience in leading basic group activities and
* One-year experience in psychiatric patient care:
Geriatric, Adult, Child or Adolescent unit