Merchandising Trainee Program - ReqCode 16000EHR 9/8/2016
Dick's Sporting Goods
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY DescriptionAt DICK'S Sporting Goods, you will have the opportunity to learn from and work with the leaders of a growing Fortune 500 company. DICK'S Sporting Goods is returning to campus this year; to recruit, train and develop top collegiate talent into well-rounded retail professionals, creating a talent pipeline to support future leadership needs.
Through your time as a trainee, you will have the opportunity to perform the roles of an Assistant Buyer and Assistant Inventory Planner. Through application of your hands-on training, you will get the opportunity to see all sides of a growing retail business and demonstrate your knowledge and skill in a series of rotational assignments across business functions. Each trainee will be assigned to several product category offices to observe, participate in and execute the activities needed to get product from idea to store shelves.
Based out of our Pittsburgh, PA. Store Support Center, this one-year training program will expose you to a broad range of business activities through assignments, including:
* Assistant Inventory Planner (Allocations and Replenishment) - Develop a skill-set that allows for accurate execution and optimization of available systems to ensure the right product, gets to the right store, at the right time.
* Buying - Gain insight on how a department level strategy is built, an assortment is chosen to support the strategy (including the private brands) and how these align to meet the financial expectations.
* Supply Chain - Create foundational knowledge of inventory flow paths, timing to market, and internal processes through the distribution network.
* Planning - Enhance financial and business acumen through assessing business results and reacting accordingly.
* Product Development - Understand the processes used to develop internal brands and products.
* eCommerce - Gain baseline knowledge of how to leverage Omni-channel analytics, channels of distribution, and customer facing platform to maximize business results.
* Stores - Gain insight into our consumer base, the products and services that differentiate us from the competition and define how actions taken at the SSC impact our field associates
During the program, you will learn through both on-the-job training and facilitated classroom sessions presented by leading experts in the retail and sporting goods industries. In addition to your assignment-specific training, you will also have the opportunity to take part in the Professional Development Series offered exclusively to Merchandising Trainees. This series will include various opportunities to develop your professional skills and retail knowledge including; Functional Overviews of various departments at DSG, intensive Excel training, the creation of an Individual Development Plan to help you identify and maximize your strengths, as well as many other developmental offerings.
Key program experiences:
Training and Development
Partner with Program Managers, cross-functional teams and leaders from across the business to learn and apply foundational retail principles and best practices, this includes financial metrics, product selection, omni-channel strategy and inventory productivity:
* Attend professional development classroom sessions and apply lessons learned in day to day interactions across the business with coaching from Mentors and Program Managers
* Apply learnings from Excel training courses to analyze data from multiple sources to assess business results
* Leverage company wide training offerings to build a professional skill set that will allow for future growth in the Global Merchandising organization
Execute all activities involved in the product lifecycle. This includes activities required to acquire, setup, order and allocate product for upcoming business, including final placement and sale in store. Tasks included in this process are:
* Complete style setup, PO writing and tracking, and product allocation and replenishment ensuring internal and external deadlines are met
* Participate in product flow activities through the supply chain from DC to Store
* Execute store floorplans and receiving process
* Utilize company wide sales model to engage and interact with customers in store
* Review sales and inventory levels at a macro & item level to make recommendations to drive sales, this includes in stock opportunities, additional orders, pricing actions, promotional activity and store transfers
* Recall and apply the company's eCommerce merchandising standards to ensure accurate item setup and display online
* Participate in all internal meetings and external meetings by sharing information, opinions, and recommendations
Apply data driven analysis in each rotational area to make recommendations to drive business results. Tasks and responsibilities include:
* Read and review corporate wide reporting to assess the performance of key metrics to both last year and planned results, making recommendations based on findings
* Update existing or build new department level reports to assess the specific needs of each rotational area, making recommendations based on findings
* Recall and review the financial plans and metrics for each rotational area and make recommendations to right-size based on current performance, this includes the open to buy
* Research and speak to the economic, financial, market, competitive, and industry trends that drive or impact business results
* Leverage web analytics and user experience data to identify opportunities and make recommendations to improve the business and customer experience
* Review performance across stores in all key performance indicators, including store feedback, and take action to balance inventory, address regional concerns and maintain proper balance of stock in each DC location
QualificationsSkills we are looking for:
* A competitive spirit with a passion for results
* An interest and confidence in working with data and numbers; strong mathematical/quantitative skills highly preferred
* Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to independently make data-driven recommendations
* A curiosity and desire to learn about consumer and retail trends, including customer demographics, purchasing influencers and emerging technology
* Dynamic written and verbal communication style to read and write reports, as well as communicate cross functionally and vertically throughout the organization
* Ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment
We look for potential candidates with:
* A GPA of 3.2 or higher
* A bachelor's degree in Supply Chain, Finance, Economics, Management, Accounting, Marketing or other related business or retail major from an accredited college or university
* Strong proficiency in Excel
* The willingness to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
2017 Start Dates:
* February 6, 2017
* June 19, 2017
* September 5, 2017
Overview of Dick's Sporting Goods:
Founded in 1948, DICK'S Sporting Goods, Inc. is a leading omni-channel sporting goods retailer offering an extensive assortment of authentic, ... To view the rest of this job posting or to apply for this position please click the APPLY NOW button