Metals Mercury Analyst- Dayton, NJ
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/17/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
SGS North America
JOB DESCRIPTIONPOSITION SUMMARY
Digestion and analysis of mercury liquid soil samples. Preparation of reagents used in mercury digestion calibration check of the dispensers used in dispensing reagents and record maintenance of activities. Data entry of analytical results into LIMS.
Backup - Preparation of STLC and TCLP samples. Preparation of STLC and TCLP reagent pH recording of samples and fluid determination.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
* Daily calibration of mercury analysis instrument and sample analysis.
* Preparation of liquid and solid matrices samples.
* Log book entry of samples run and reagents used.
* Preparation of digestion reagents as needed and recording activities in the log book of reagents.
* Preparation of intermediate Mercury standards (weekly).
* Tracking and ordering of sample and digestion tubes.
* Proper identification of dispensers; expiration dates of the reagents.
* Dumping of sample and analysis wastes.
* MDL and LOQ determination of the mercury analyzers.
* Transfer/Entry of analytical of mercury analyzers into LIMS.
* Maintenance of sample preparation log.
* Upkeep of a Run Log.
* PDF transfers of client runs.
* Scan/Archiving of sample preparation logs.
* Quarterly calibration of reagent dispensers.
* pH determination of TCLP samples.
* Preparation of TCLP solution.
* Preparation of STLC solution.
* Entry of sample data into sample prep log books.
* Calibration of pH meters.
Routine duties are performed with minimal supervision; standard practices or procedures allow you to proceed alone at routine work; occasional check of work while in progress; work is reviewed upon completion.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
* Bachelor Degree (BA/BS) or equivalent in Chemistry, Environmental Science, or a related field from four year college or technical school.
* No prior experience.
* Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers or employees of organization.
* Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concept such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
* Ability to common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability
* Intermediate personal computer skills, including electronic mail, routine database activity, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
* The ability to separate emotional feelings from the real issues at hand. The ability to legitimately and objectively challenge the substance of our beliefs and biases of our observations.
* The ability to meet commitments made to yourself and others, keeping the promises you make, and acknowledging and accepting the choices you have made, the actions you have taken, and the results they have led to.
* The ability to write and speak effectively using appropriate convention based on the situation; actively listens to others, asks questions to verify understanding, and uses tact and consideration when delivering feedback to others.
* Demonstrate responsiveness and adaptability following change initiatives, and demonstrates ongoing support for change efforts.
* Understand and comprehend information, as well as find application and value from new knowledge.
* Exhibits high levels of energy and enthusiasm.
* Methodical and efficient in structuring tasks to be accomplished.
* The knowledge and ability to use computers and technology efficiently and effectively.
* The ability to demonstrate a series of activities designed to enhance the level of customer satisfaction.
* Demonstrates a sound working knowledge of current role and the technical systems, applications and equipment used in performing this role, and understands the impact this role has on other business functions within the organization.
* Writes and speaks effectively based on the psychological, relational, situation, environmental and cultural dynamics within the situation.
* Encourages and embrace dialogue from team members, while anticipating and resolving conflicting differences by exploring mutually agreeable solutions.
* Demonstrates effectiveness and flexibility with changing environments, responsibilities, tasks, and people.
* Identifies and resolves issues timely by gathering and analyzing information skillfully.
* Follows detailed procedures to ensure accuracy in the entry and reporting of data.
* Uses time efficiently by prioritizing and planning work activities.
* Demonstrates upmost level of integrity in all instances, and shows respect towards others and towards company principles.
* Demonstrates ability to make independent and sound decisions in all situations.
* Shares key information with others involved in a project or effort, works in harmony to accomplish objectives, responds with enthusiasm to directives, and shows support for departmental and organizational decisions.
* Sets high standards and measures of excellence to ensure quality assurance in every aspect of work performed.
* Takes personal responsibility and ownership for adhering to all company policies and procedures while also completing work timely and in accordance with performance expectations.
* Moving about on foot to accomplish task for sustained periods of time.
* Standing, particularly for sustained periods of time.
* Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving object horizontally from position to position.
* Substantial movements (motion) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers in a repetitive manner.
* Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less)
* Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more)
* Color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors)
* Moderate physical activity performing somewhat strenuous daily activities of a primarily product/technical nature.
* Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, pull, or otherwise move objects.
* Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, works with the fingers, and perceives attributes of objects and materials.
* Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office/production setting with adequate ventilation.
* Work near moving mechanical parts
* Air contamination (i.e., dust, fume, smoke, toxic conditions, disagreeable odors)
* Toxic or caustic chemicals
* Moderate noise (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic).
* Regular work schedule.
* Minimal travel.
* To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
* This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
* SGS is an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability.