This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/16/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
North Chicago, IL
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Title : Millwright III
Duration: 12 Months+
Location :106 Abbott Park Road
Please use the below description:
LCU Senior Operator: Primary Function / Primary Goals / Objectives:
Operate and maintain all utilities equipment / systems independently under the general supervision of the utilities group leader, operations section manager or utilities manager. Routinely perform and/or direct all patrol and control operator duties of the utility trainee and / or utility operator. Perform both control and patrol operator duties in rotational assignments. Perform specific tasks including all duties of the utility trainee and utility operator. Candidate must have a valid driver license to operate company owned vehicles used during operator rounds.
Major Responsibilities / Duties:
* Responsible for operation and maintenance of all utility systems including sub-systems (e.g. water pre-treatment systems, reverse osmosis systems, softeners, carbon filters, polishers, etc.) major pieces of equipment, all auxiliary / supporting equipment such as pumps, motors, valves, etc., and all associated control systems. This requires demonstrated knowledge and full understanding of functionality and operations of all systems and controls.
* Steam System: Operate and start boilers while maintaining proper combustion in firing boilers on fuel gas, or fuel oil under various steam load conditions. Control operation of boiler induced draft turbines to maintain proper boiler draft and adjust feeds and speeds to provide complete combustion and optimum efficiency. Operate and maintain proper water level in all boilers to prevent carryover, overheating, or damage of boiler tubes. Inspect and maintain proper oil levels, pressures, and temperature on boiler feedwater pumps. Operate and maintain steam pressure reducing stations for proper feedwater storage level and temperature.
* Other systems: Operate and maintain distillation units, air compressors, air dryers, emergency generators, chillers, heat exchangers, refrigeration compression units, potable water treatment systems, fire protection engines / pumps, demineralizer's bottles and related utilities equipment / systems.
* Alarm Handling and Troubleshooting: Observe and respond appropriately to all process, qualified system, system, etc. alarms and issues received through main Distributed Control System (DCS), Building Automation System (BAS), security, life safety departments, facilities, maintenance, management, etc. Inform senior personnel of equipment system malfunctions or irregularities, and perform repairs or other operations as dictated by the situation, or as directed.
* Operational Rounds: Make rounds to remote utility systems in various LC areas that include buildings, ponds & outfalls, wells, sanitary sewer manholes & weirs, etc. Activities to include inspecting, measuring, flushing, backwashing, obtaining & recording data, taking samples, etc. Responsible for inspecting electrical distribution centers and machine rooms for fire, flooding, or other abnormal conditions. Correct and / or malfunctions or potential problems.
* Collecting, testing, sampling and adjustment responsibilities for the following systems / areas: Qualified water systems, qualified compressed air systems, sanitary effluent, pond water, fresh water, boiler condensate, potable and service water, and various utilities for chemical levels and quality specifications, etc. Includes operating sampling equipment, testing equipment, adjusting chemical dosage systems to maintain proper pH, conductivity, chlorine levels, etc. Collected operational readings / data and actions to be entered on data loggers, system log sheets, charts, etc.
* Monitor and assist in troubleshooting building systems in conjunction with facilities and maintenance personnel via Building Automation System (BAS) controls on a routine basis. Building equipment/systems include HVAC systems, cold room refrigeration units, freezers, and other miscellaneous equipment. Serve as the primary contact for after-hours emergencies and communication with appropriate on or off-site personnel to facilitate repairs. May assist in such repairs.
* Relay operational information and temporary instructions to oncoming shift personnel.
* Assume leadership role in responding to utilities emergencies.
* Perform other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
* Maintain good safety and housekeeping practices in assigned areas.
* Compliance Expectations: Assure all systems are operated in accordance with safety, regulatory and quality assurance requirements as per all internal and external governing bodies.
* Safety Expectations: Ensure that all safety rules will be followed and that PPE will be utilized at all times for safe being of the employee and coworkers. Abbott has a culture of safety and every employee needs to actively participate for the culture to grow.
* Business Excellence (BEx) Culture: Actively participate in programs and demonstrate a BEx approach to drive operational and/or cost efficiencies. Programs include: Continuous Improvement, Operational Excellence, Maintenance Excellence, Utilities/Energy Excellence, Shingo, 6 Sigma, Class A, etc.
* Training Expectations: Complete all training requirements prior to due dates. Also, develop training modules and/or procedures when opportunities arise. Training material includes operational procedures, regulatory and compliance requirements, safety, personal growth, etc.
High School Graduate
7 years of utility operations experience with steam, chilled water, compressed air, various water systems, etc. Experience in purified/distilled water systems and BEx a plus.