Molecular Medicine Lab Technician I
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/10/2016
END DATE 12/14/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe Laboratory for Molecular Medicine (LMM) is an integral component of the Partners Healthcare Center for Personalized Genetic Medicine, an academic center with a mission to promote genetics and genomics in medicine. The LMM is located at 65 Landsdowne St., Cambridge, MA. It is a CLIA-approved molecular diagnostic lab that performs genetic testing for a variety of disorders.
Under close supervision of the senior technician(s) and laboratory manager the LMM Technician I performs routine tests.
The LMM technician, in coordination with senior laboratory members will organize and perform routine laboratory tests including but not limited to:
* Extract and quantify DNA from blood and other tissue samples.
* Perform gel electrophoresis and other techniques to analyze DNA and RNA products.
* Perform PCR and DNA sequencing reactions.
* Use robotics to perform repetitive laboratory techniques.
* Learn how to use new instruments and implement their use in new tests.
* Participate in lab meetings and generate ideas for improving efficiency and productivity in the labs operations.
* Optimize diagnostic tests and update existing standard operating protocols with significant guidance.
* Follow existing protocols and regulations to QC equipment and reagents.
* Enter requisition information and other report related data into a computer system.
* Uses universal safety precautions and proper personal protective equipment to protect self and co-workers from biohazardous materials, including blood-borne pathogens
* Complies with biohazard/radiation safety standards through proper handling of potentially hazardous chemical and biological agents and/or radiation sources in the workplace
* Completes annual biohazard/universal precaution safety training, as appropriate
* All other duties as assigned
* Bachelors degree required in Biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, genetics or related field
* Molecular Laboratory experience preferred, but not required
* Good organizational and communication skills
* Excellent attention to detail
* Good computer skills
* Ability to work efficiently, both independently and as part of a team
* Dedication to excellence
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.