NDE Lead/Manager (NDT Level III) 9/2/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Position: Team Leader, NDT
Location: Rochester, NH
Manager: Director of Engineering
* Responsibility for developing, implementing and maintaining NDT systems , techniques, and procedures to conform to regulatory, customer, and company requirements
* Lead the establishment of NDT methods in computed tomography (CT) and ultrasonics (UT) for our rapidly growing aerospace composite business.
* Assure/ensure CT System Conformity Qualification, along with Product/Process Performance Verification & Validation, including substantiation and periodic monitoring activities
* Act as a bridge between customers, management teams, engineering teams, program management teams, integrated product teams, and NDT specialists by detecting possible physical, hardware, and mechanical problem areas, and planning necessary NDE resources for various existing/new programs/projects.
* Support bid and proposal activities by defining NDT statement of work and evaluating tools required to meet customer requirements.
* Standardize and streamline methods for evaluating on-going inspections on various composite product lines, and take part in various development projects through difference phases of our New Product Introduction (NPI) process.
* Accelerate the development of ultrasonic (UT) and radiographic NDE specialists; define the skills necessary to fill the role of future NDE specialists.
* Hold NDE team accountable to meeting commitments and high performance standards
Tasks and Responsibilities
* Plan, monitor, and control statement of work for NDT/NDE team; identify and manage project constraints/hurdles/risks.
* Participate in the development of test analyses for development efforts and on-going product lines
* Provide NDE inputs in the planning and execution of new projects and/or new program proposals
* Assess current state technology and make recommendations for improvements and future capability as necessary. Propose, gain approval, install and certify the necessary equipment, methods, materials, software, and tools to meet the needs of flaw detection in current and future structures being produced at Albany Engineered Composites
* Maintain and improve on Cost, Schedule, Quality, Engagement, Safety and 5S performance indicators for the NDE area
* Responsible for administration of companies NDE written procedures and certification program
* Maintain company's NDE program updated with current technologies in the field.
* Development and implement NDE technical training programs.
* Provide customer consultations and technical support for projects.
* Develop and maintain the computed tomography written practice to the requirements of NAS-410 and SNT-TC-1A including the validation of procedures and processes that make acceptance/rejection determinations on product.
* Lead development of advanced tooling methodologies for computed tomography and ultrasonic testing.
* Provide leadership, supervision and training of NDT Technicians
* Work in concert with other AEC organizations and functional areas to assure timely verification and validation of products
* Coordinate NDE activities with key stakeholders to achieve on-time delivery at required quality level.
* Requires at a minimum AS degree in NDT.
* Level III Certification in accordance with the requirements of NAS410 in RT or UT and two or more of the following PT, MT, ET and LT.
* Must be qualified and able to pass Level III examinations specific to aerospace.
* 10+ years of hands-on experience (required); aerospace industry experience is highly preferred, but transferable experience from other fields, such as automotive and medical/bio-medical, may be considered
* Expert knowledge and understanding of NAS410, specifically radiography (RT) and ultrasonics (UT) is required.
* Proven background in leading successful implementation of new products/technologies/methods.
* Knowledge of 2D/3D composite aerospace manufacturing, or comparable process, required.
* Knowledge of detail and assembly drawings, including dimensioning and tolerance stack-up, used in manufacturing processes is required.
* Knowledge of NDE use in large-scale fabrication operations, is preferred
* Knowledge of aerospace codes, standards and regulations applicable to manufacturing area is a plus
* Working knowledge of various aerospace OEM (e.g. GE, Pratt & Whitney, Boeing, Airbus, etc.) standards, is a plus
* General knowledge of various composite molding methods, including autoclave, pre-preg and resin transferred molding (RTM) is a plus
* Must be able to provide quality assurance and problem solving abilities while performing a variety of NDT Level III and quality engineering tasks with little or no supervision on composite materials.
* Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
* Have extensive experience in the field of non-destructive testing
* Experience training and mentoring technical personnel, including NDT technicians
* Direct Six Sigma Green Belt experience, in addition to certification (preferred)
* Must have some project management skills and experience - several years of team management and/or project management
* Experience in developing technology roadmaps (preferred)
* Excellent communication skills, including technical report writing and bids & proposal writing
* Experience in creating and presenting technical training material
* Ability to apply the \\"scientific method/process\\".
* Ability to work independently, with little direct supervision.
* Ability to navigate in not fully defined situations or difficult circumstances
* Stay current with and investigate new NDE technologies and trends
* Ability to lead and contribute as an individual contributor in a team environment
* Some shift work may be required
* Ability to travel domestically and internationally periodically (~10-25%)
Nothing in this document restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled