NOC Tech II
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/15/2016
END DATE 10/25/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONMore information about this job
*This role can be located in Anniston, Birmingham or Atlanta. Those located in Birmingham and Atlanta would work two days per week in Anniston.*
EarthLink, an original Internet pioneer, has evolved into one of the world s top managed network, security and cloud solution providers. Our people keep us competitive and focused, and we re looking for talented professionals to join our team! Are you passionate about driving transformation* Are you ready to impact how people experience technology in business and as consumers* By joining EarthLink, you will feel energized by working in a fast-paced, ever-changing technology environment, and will gain experience to help you grow personally and professionally.
The successful NOC Technician II will perform network surveillance to maintain integrity of EarthLink Business production network. The role of the NOC Technician II is to ensure the reliability of EarthLink s network that serves our clients by providing support that will promote the health and stability of the network. The NOC Technician II works cross-functionally with internal resources, equipment vendors and facility providers to resolve issues in our deployed infrastructure.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned.
The NOC Technician II job includes:
* Monitor switching, digital, optical and associated telecommunications equipment.
* Perform fault analysis, isolation and remediation in switching, digital, optical, and other technologies.
* Maintain accurate records in a variety of tracking resources.
* Develop extensive knowledge of EarthLink Communications products and services.
* Provide Single Point of Contact duties for high-risk & service impacting events.
* Open and refer Trouble Tickets to the appropriate level of support.
* Escalate network problems both internally and externally.
* Develop and maintain training procedures for NOC.
* Interface with customers, engineers, vendors and technicians to resolve trouble reports.
* Provide off hour surveillance and security for Secure Facilities.
* Provide technical assistance for service partners and ILEC technicians during service impacting network events.
* Oversee and participate in network maintenance with support teams, ensure customers are informed of the maintenance, and confirm service is restored after completion of maintenance.
* Responsible for certain subpoena requests submitted by law enforcement and government agencies for trace and traps within the network.
* Perform routing, switch translations, exception-reporting and fault isolation within a converged telecommunications infrastructure.
* Carrier grade device management i.e. Software/firmware upgrades, maintenance procedures, and recovery tactics.
* For Switch Techs, Trouble shoot network events, voice and data outages on equipment including: Circuit and soft switching, IP routers, M13-SONET-ATM multiplexing, DSL and T1 aggregation, etc.
* For Transport Techs, Trouble shoot Network events, SONET equipment DS3 - OC192 and DWDM systems.
* Operate in a 24 X 7 Network Operations Center; this includes shift work and off peak coverage.
QUALIFICATIONS: The following education, experience, ability and skills are required for this position.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: A qualified candidate should have at minimum an Associate s degree and 3-5 years experience working in NOC environment in the Telecommunications industry.
* Excellent communication and attention to detail skills, with an eagerness to provide outstanding customer service to internal and external clients.
* Working experience with LAN/WAN architecture, SONET, Ethernet, T1, Frame-Relay, xDSL, Circuit and Soft Switching, TCP/IP, VoIP, and VoATM.
* Previous Network Operations Center experience is mandatory.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operation and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively to customers and fellow employees. Possess telephony etiquette ability.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, and to draw and interpret graphs.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Certificates and licenses that may verify any and all of the above listed qualifications. Applicants must pass a company background check for required access to various internal and external locations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of their job. Reasonable accommodation will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The following is a breakdown of the amount of physical demands for the job. Standing, sitting, use hands and fingers at computer, and talking on telephone.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some of the work is performed in a climatic controlled environment; some is performed outside in all types of weather conditions.
COMPUTER SKILLS: A qualified candidate should have an advanced level of PC experience. Working proficiency in Windows Operating Systems, Microsoft Office, Unix OS s, Network Management systems (i.e.Netcool, openNMS), Centralized device and remote device management i.e. telnet, snmp, ftp.
The above declarations are not intended to be an All-Inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job, and be a reasonable representation of its activities.