NP II/III - General Neurology Service 8/12/2016
University of California - Los Angeles Medical Centers
Los Angeles, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Title:
NP II/III - General Neurology Service
Nurse Practitioner 2
Reed - Neurology
$63.21 / $10999
$90.27 / $15707
Layoff Referral Deadline:
The NP functions in an interdependent role by implementing the appropriate standardized procedures (SP). By using the SPs the NP is able to change treatment regimen after observing signs and symptoms of illness, reactions to treatment, general behavior and physical condition, and determines if they are abnormal findings (Ca Nursing Practice Act, subsection(b) of Section 2725). Provide and coordinate the care of _________patients, provide patient/family education, promote safe continuity of care. Participate in interdisciplinary and clinical rounds, provide education and support as well as make appropriate referrals. Document services rendered.
NPIII is designated as an expert resource within the specialization or clinical experience.
A. PATIENT CARE
1. Participates in care of patients on the General Neurology Service at RRUCLAMC
2. Acts as a liaison between nursing staff and physicians to provide effective and consistent patient care.
3. Participates in daily patient rounds with the General Neurology team, charts orders, and coordinates consults. Facilitates completion of tests and procedures, e.g. MRI.
4. Assesses patients; generates admission, progress, transfer and discharge notes as may be necessary.
5. Coordinates discharge planning, attends discharge planning rounds, and ensures that orders, equipment, medications, follow up appointments, etc. are in place to permit timely discharge of patients. Counsels patients on discharge instructions.
6. Gathers results of diagnostic evaluations and accurately interprets results of diagnostic tests.
7. Performs medical procedures (such as lumbar puncture) as may be necessary within the scope of their standard of practice parameters.
8. Participates in patient and family education and acts as a patient advocate to facilitate ethical decision making within patient care.
9. Screens and responds to telephone calls from patients and families regarding care, and responds to physician calls and inquiries regarding referrals. and consults.
1. Assists in completion of any required documentation as may be requested by RRUCLAMC about patient care or other metrics.
2. Assists in formulation and implementation of QI/QA initiatives focused on the RRUCLAMC General Neurology service.
3. Assists in in-patient research protocols as may be requested by a faculty PI.
4. Maintains current licensure, medical staff privileges, and other requirements for employment at RRUCLAMC.
Graduate of an MSN program with NP specialty. Ca RN and NP license, National Certification preferred.
1. Demonstrated knowledge of neuroscience advance practice.
2. Ability to conduct complete neurologic history and physical exam and appropriately document same.
3. Skill to obtain a complete neurologic examination.
4. Ability to formulate a differential diagnosis.
5. Ability to consult and refer when necessary.
6. Ability to interpret and take appropriate action on results of diagnostic tests and procedures.
7. Ability to write patient care protocols and perform procedures.
8. Ability to retain responsibility for the ongoing clinical management of the neurologic patient in the inpatient setting.
9. Ability to perform comprehensive discharge planning for neurologic patients.
10. Ability to collaboratively coordinate the ongoing clinical management of the neurologic patient in the out-patient/post-discharge setting.
11. Ability to educate patients and families about medical information necessary for their care.
12. Skill in speaking clearly and distinctly using appropriate vocabulary and grammar to convey information to patients and professionals on an individual and group basis.
13. Skill in verbal patient presentations.
14. Knowledge of clinical research methods.
15. Knowledge of UCLA policies and procedures.
16. Ability to form excellent working relationships with ancillary staff and attending physicians.
NP II- 1 year or greater of NP experience and minimal Neurology experience as an NP