NURSE NAVIGATOR 8/25/2016
University of Kansas Hospital
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Details
Bachelor's Degree in Nursing or higher
I am at least 18 years of age
I am authorized to work in the United States
I meet the job requirements as described
Work among the best. We are a top 25 employer in the metro area offering a wide array of career opportunities within our organization. We have a leading reputation for patient care, medical education, research, and community service. We value and respect the talented, committed, and diverse people who make up our hospital; they are our most important strength. The hospital offers very competitive wages and an outstanding benefit package.
We currently have an opening for Nurse Navigator
* Demonstrates competence in the areas of critical thinking, interpersonal relationships, and technical skills.
* Demonstrates the ability to provide care/service safely and efficiently for the each patient.
* Ensures patients are scheduled with the appropriate multidisciplinary provider(s) in the appropriate time frame.
* Collaborates with the appropriate disciplinary teams to ensure scheduled tests, diagnostic procedures, follow up care and appointments are coordinated.
* Provides education to the patients and families regarding complex appointment and testing required.
* Collaborates with intake scheduler to ensure all medical information is complete and available for provider team(s).
* Identifies patient needs and initiates appropriate referrals to supportive services.
* Demonstrates thorough documentation of patient assessment and interventions completed in the electronic medical record.
* Serves as a liaison and resource for patients, physicians, and other health care professionals involved in the provision of care for the patient.
* Assists in the development of clinical goals and objectives for the Nurse Navigation Program in collaboration with the Nurse Manager.
* Supports and promotes the principles of service excellence in all interactions with patients, their family members, their other health care providers and all members of The University of Kansas Hospital staff.
* Actively participates in quality improvement initiatives, utilizing information from relevant sources, such as databases and benchmarks.
* Participates in the efficient, economic, and competent performance of The University of Kansas Hospital.
* Maintains accurate and current knowledge base of trends, issues, research findings and local, state and national health related resources and services for the patient population navigation services are being provided.
* Acts as a consultant to other members of the nursing and clinical staff for patients with complex health problems requiring specialized nursing care.
* Demonstrates leadership through participating in department and hospital committees, councils and taskforces.
* Bachelor's Degree in Nursing required; Master's Degree in Nursing preferred
* 3-5 years of Nursing experience required; greater than 5 years preferred
* Registered Nurse in Kansas required
* Specialized Certification for the specific patient population navigating (Such as OCN, etc.) preferred
* BLS Certification required
* Basic computer skill set for data entry and EMR usage required
The University of Kansas Medical Center is committed to providing an equal opportunity for all qualified individuals to be considered for employment, benefits and conditions of employment, and to participate in or benefit from education programs and activities, regardless of race, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, or genetic information. A university community that provides equal opportunity for all will make significant strides towards the elimination of discrimination.
It is the mission of the Equal Opportunity Office to create a community of equality and inclusiveness that provides full and fair opportunities for all persons and to foster an intellectually and culturally diverse environment of learning and leadership where all individuals are valued, respected, and unhindered in their pursuit of excellence in their work and education.