NURSE PRACTITIONER, M.S. / PER DIEM / DAYS - BWH WEINER CENTER.
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/16/2016
END DATE 11/12/2016
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Nurse Practitioner is an advanced practice registered nurse who has acquired specialized knowledge and skills through completion of a nurse practitioner program. The practitioner has the credentials to function in an expanded nursing role and is responsible for the daily management of selected patients. The practitioner has responsibility for assessment and management of patients including diagnostic and therapeutic interventions, and continuous implementation and evaluation of an appropriate plan of care. The Nurse Practitioner works under the supervision of the attending physician and is responsible to the Nurse Manager, or Nursing Director for the area
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A. Patient Care Organization
1. Provides direct care, counseling, and teaching to a select patient population.
2. Performs physical examinations and provides preventive health measures appropriate to patient needs.
3. Orders, interprets, and evaluates appropriate lab and diagnostic tests to assess patients clinical problems and health care needs.
4. Arranges for appropriate plan of care and follow-up based on outcome of diagnostic, lab, and physical assessment findings.
5. Performs laboratory tests appropriate for specific patient population.
6. Records pertinent patient care findings in the medical record.
7. Sets priorities for appropriate and efficient management of patient care that reflects cost effective management of time, available human resources, supplies and equipment
8. Maintains interdisciplinary approach to planning and communicating patient care information by discussing patient data with appropriate physicians and other health care professionals.
9. Incorporates the concepts of health maintenance, prevention, and promotion into daily practice through patient education and counseling.
10. Demonstrates awareness of community resources and assists staff, patients, and families to effectively utilize them.
B. Quality of Care
1. Assists in the development, implementation and revision of nurse practitioner guidelines and monitoring requirements for prescription writing in collaboration with their designated physician and Nursing Manager or Nursing Director.
2. Evaluates outcomes of own patients care and makes necessary revisions in care plans.
3. Seeks and provides consultative services as required.
4. Participates in departmental and organization quality improvement program.
5. Utilizes quality improvement data and research findings to enhance patient care.
1. Demonstrates appropriate collaborative and consultative relationships with other providers within the institution and community.
2. Serves on nursing and hospital committees and assumes responsibility for disseminating and communicating information to staff.
1. Participates in setting productivity metrics and in cost effective management of personnel, time, supplies, and equipment in his/her area.
E. Personnel Management
1. Participates in selection process of new employees in group or team practice as requested.
2. Provides input into evaluation of other staff as appropriate.
1. Acts as preceptor for nursing students and staff as requested.
2. Participates in orientation of new staff.
3. Participates in departmental and organization continuing education programs.
4. Identifies own learning needs and updates clinical knowledge and skills through formal and informal education and review of current literature.
5. Educates lay and/or professional groups through lectures, papers, publications, and educational materials.
1. Develops annual objectives and reviews with Nurse Manager and /or Nursing Director and collaborating M.D. at time of performance review and at appropriate intervals. Completes annual credentialing process through the Nursing Department credentialing program.
2. Assists in determining, evaluating, and/or implementing clinical area goals and objectives.
3. Maintains interdisciplinary approach for planning and communicating information for patient care and operation of practice.
4. Maintains current knowledge of legislation that may affect the health care delivery system.
1. Maintains understanding of current research of others in related clinical areas through review of relevant publications.
Education: Completion of a Masters or post Masters degree in adult or family NP program accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC).
Experience: Extensive experience working as a nurse practitioner in the BWH Weiner Center is preferred. The NP must also have experience completing history and physical assessments, as well as a background in a surgical and/or perioperative setting.
Other: 1. Current certification by the American Nurses Credentialing Center or an equivalent body.
2. Current active licensure to practice in the expanded role in the state of Massachusetts.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Skills and Abilities Required
1. Expert clinical judgment skills to function in the independent role.
2. Excellent interpersonal relationship and communication skills in order to collaborate with patients families, staff and community health workers.
3. Ability to work with frequent stress resulting from busy clinical settings and changing organizational climate.
4. Ability to be self-directive and demonstrate initiative in addressing responsibilities of position.
5. Ability to utilize appropriate problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
1. Works in a variety of patient care environments where there may be exposure to communicable disease, and hazardous materials.
1. May assume responsibility for providing direction to designated personnel.
WEEKEND ROTATION PER MNA CONTRACT
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.
Brigham and Womens Hospital I CARE Standards
The I CARE Standards guide me in my interactions with patients, family members, visitors, colleagues, and neighbors in my workplace and surrounding community to optimize the Brigham experience and help fulfill my role in our mission of providing seamless, high quality patient and family centered care.
C. I WILL COMMUNICATE MY COMMITMENT TO HIGH QUALITY PERFORMANCE
A. I WILL APPEAR AND ACT AS A PROFESSIONAL
R. I WILL RESPECT ALL INDIVIDUALS
E. I WILL EXTEND MYSELF