NURSE PRACTITIONER (MSN) 9/2/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
NP/PA will work collaboratively with GI Attendings/Fellows and NP colleagues to see inpatient referrals, specifically those on the pancreatic/biliary service. Will follow these specialty inpatients during their in house stay and ensure continuity of care, documentation and billing. NP/PA will facilitate endoscopic procedures by acting as liaison between inpatient floors and endoscopy resource nurse.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Provides direct care to patients admitted to the Schapiro Pancreatic/Biliary inpatient service in collaboration with GI attending physicians, fellows and Podolsky service Inpatient NP/PA. Patients will be seen as consultations or those patients directly admitted to a GI Associates attending physicians service.
* Performs and records the patient history and physical exam. Discusses findings with the attending physician. This includes patients being admitted from the Emergency Department, outpatient clinic, or transfers from other facilities. This NP/PA will work closely with the Pancreatic/Biliary access nurse coordinator.
* Utilizes advanced nursing knowledge to identify, prevent or solve complex and/or recurring patient care problems.
* Follows and manages patients (in collaboration with the MD) enhancing continuity of care. This includes management in the ICU, the general care floor (including preparation for discharge) and the outpatient clinic.
* Coordinates specialized procedures (e.g. endoscopy) particular to the select population mutually agreed upon with collaborating physician.
* Performs medically delegated aspects of patient care as agreed upon by nursing and medication administration according to practice guidelines.
* Collaborates with unit staff and physicians and inpatient NP/PA to facilitate a comprehensive plan of care and coordinate resources.
* Writes orders that are in accord with current guidelines and bills all activity.
* Maintains and practices in accord with practitioner guidelines per state and hospital regulations.
* Works collaboratively with attendings, GI fellows-in-training and inpatient NP/PA in their evaluation and management of their patients on the service. Serves as a resource to medical students and residents on the service.
* Provides consultation to both nurses and physicians.
* Serves as a resource to staff in area(s) of expertise.
* Serves on appropriate intra and interdepartmental committees. This may include but may not be limited to the GI Clinical Practice Committee and the Quality Assurance Committee.
* Participates in the development of formal and informal educational programs for the unit-based nursing staff.
* Develops educational programs with area of expertise in collaboration with the unit-based CNS.
* Collaborates with unit staff, Resource Nurse, Clinical Educators, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Staff Specialists and other health care professionals to meet staff and patient educational needs.
* Monitors patient outcomes in accordance with defined standards of patient care.
* Collaborates with nurse director, clinical nurse specialist, clinical nurses and medical staff to plan, implements and evaluate pertinent change in practice and health care delivery.
* Works with the multidisciplinary team to identify system-wide factors contributing to undesirable outcomes, such as complications, increased length of stay and overutilization of services.
* Facilitates patient movement through the system and efficient use of resources through interdepartmental collaboration.
* Responsible for own professional growth and maintenance of required credentials
* Maintains the standards and education requirements specific to the position and licensure.
* Identifies own learning needs and goals.
* Maintains and updates clinical knowledge and skills based on current health care practice/research.
* Candidate must have a current licensure in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a PA or as a registered nurse in the expanded role.
* Experience in Inpatient care is highly preferred.
* Masters Degree in Nursing required or advanced degree from accredited PA Program required.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Knowledge of and compliance with MGH, JCAHO, HIPAA, ACGME, and other regulatory bodies standards.
Ability to function independently and as part of caregiver team
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with patients, families, and other caregivers on the team.
Exceptional organizational skills and the flexibility to handle multiple tasks
Busy hospital, endoscopic and out patient practice environment.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.