NURSE PRACTITIONER, MSN Inpatient Oncology
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/14/2016
END DATE 11/8/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONExciting opportunity for a Nurse Practitioner to work in a stimulating, fulfilling and cutting edge environment. The Inpatient Oncology NP provides direct care to the Inpatient Oncology population on a medical oncology NP service and will also work in collaboration with the attending physician, house staff and disease center team to facilitate the care of oncology patients on the general medical service. Within this role, the Nurse Practitioner will work on the oncology unit and be the responding clinician and be responsible for the care of the patients. Other responsibilities include following oncology patients on medical unitsand facilitate continuity of care, including communication and coordination between inpatient and outpatient teams. The Nurse Practitioner will work collaboratively with the inpatient team, attending physician, house staff, case management, staff nurse and primary outpatient oncology team,to coordinate daily plan and discharge plan.
Advanced Nurse Practitioner
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Develops, implements and evaluates a program of specialized health care for a select patient population. Promotes a collaborative relationship and effort between the medical staff and professional nurses toward continuity of patient care and efficient use of resources. Serves as a role model for professional nursing practice.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provides direct care to a select patient population in collaboration with the physician.
* Performs and records the patient history and physical exam and discusses findings with the physician.
* Utilizes advanced nursing knowledge to identify, prevent or solve complex and/or recurring patient care problems.
* Follows and manages patients (in collaboration with MD) enhancing continuity of care.
* Performs (oversees/assures completion of) specialized procedures particular to the select population mutually agreed upon with collaborating physician.
* Performs medically delegated aspects of patient care as agreed upon by nursing and medical administrators according to practice guidelines.
* Collaborates with unit staff and physicians to facilitate a comprehensive plan of care and coordinate resources.
* Writes orders which are in accord with current guidelines.
* Maintains and practices in accord with practitioner guidelines per state and hospital regulations
* Provides consultation to both nurses and physicians.
* Serves as a resource to staff in area(s) of expertise.
* Serves on appropriate intra and interdepartmental committees.
* Participates in the development of formal and informal educational programs for the unit-based nursing staff.
* Develops educational programs within area of expertise.
* Collaborates with unit staff, Clinical Educators, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Staff Specialists and other health care professionals to meet staff and patient educational needs.
* Monitors patient outcomes in accordance with defined standards of patient care.
* Collaborates with nurse managers, clinical nurses and medical staff to plan, implement and evaluate pertinent change in practice and health care delivery
* Identifies system-wide factors contributing to undesirable outcomes, such as complications, increased length of stay and over utilization of services.
* Facilitates patient movement through the system and efficient use of resources through interdepartmental collaboration.
* Supports research efforts to advance knowledge and to promote research-based practice.
* Evaluates own practice and program effectiveness.
* Identifies pertinent nursing and health delivery problems for investigation.
* Evaluates current research findings for clinical specialty and determines applicability to unit practice.
* Assists nursing and medical colleagues in research efforts.
* Conducts own research.
* Responsible for own professional growth and maintenance of required credentials.
* Maintains the standards and educational requirements specific to the position and licensure.
* Identifies own learning needs and goals.
* Takes responsibilities for leadership and participation on committees and task forces of the DON and the hospital.
* Maintains and updates clinical knowledge and skills based on current health care practice/research.
* Valid Massachusetts RN in good standing
* Masters Degree in Nursing
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
* Demonstrated competence in specialized area.
* Inpatient hospital setting
Current Massachusetts Licensure and Master's Degree in Nursing required. A minimum of two years RN experience required. Oncology experience preferred, however medical and surgical RN experience will be considered. Must be a self-starter and have the ability to work within a team. 39 hours per week day/night rotating shift including weekends and holidays. Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.