This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/9/2016
END DATE 11/8/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under the supervision and direction of the MGH Gastrointestinal Division and in accordance with the rules and regulations of Massachusetts governing Nursing practice, the Nurse will be responsible for the care of patients assigned to the MGH GI Division. We are looking for a RN with experience and knowledge of this specialty who is familiar with working in a tertiary/academic hospital setting to join our busy outpatient clinical and research practice. The RN will help facilitate the intake and triage of patients for assigned faculty, including patient return calls, prior authorization, and working closely with the administrative staff in coordinating visits for the patients.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Facilitates access for patients of the MGH GI Division Sub-specialties. Reviews all incoming records for potential patients and assigns doctors accordingly. Gathering information about relevant clinical signs and symptoms and making accurate triage decisions regarding patients care, in conjunction with the patients provider.
Effectively and in a timely manner documents nursing phone and chart review assessment, in the electronic medical record as appropriate.
Triages care to the appropriate program physician in accordance with established algorithms and clinical protocols
* Responds to messages coming into the practice and triages as needed by phone, in-basket, work queues, etc. Monitors and responds to Patient Gateway/EPIC and other electronic patient messages.
* Works closely with the medical assistant and office assistants in patient care coordination.
* Responsible for educating patients regarding medical management of their diseases including medication options, effects, side effects, and therapeutic responses to medications. Teaches patients injection technique and educates them about medications they are using, need for follow-up and side effects to notify the physicians/NP about.
* Assist Providers in coordinating patient care, including working with insurance companies to facilitate prior authorizations, establishing care with local facilities, and communicating with community providers. Coordinates appropriate and timely scheduling of lab tests and follow-up assessments.
* Works with the Medical Assistants, Administrative Assistants, Nurse Practitioner, Doctors and others to ensure prescriptions are refilled in a timely fashion, lab results are reviewed and results disseminated to patients.
* Ensures that referrals to other specialists, radiological, endoscopic and laboratory testing are coordinated with patients and office staff.
* Assists with letters of medical necessity for prior authorizations, disability forms, and FMLA forms.
* Performs injections as needed.
* Act as a resource regarding complex medications for patients and their families, including information regarding co-pay assistance programs, grants, and available community resources.
Valid Massachusetts RN licensure
Knowledge of GI helpful
Excellent communication skills when working with peers and patients.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Able to prioritize promptly to respond to competing demands with a complex patient population.
Maintain clear communications with other members of the health care and research team.
Acts independently, but, more importantly, will function as a member of our health care team. The nurse should maintain a level of professionalism that communicates our philosophy of caring for all our patients and /or colleagues with respect as an integral process of our mission as we care for patients.
Utilizes good judgment in the resolution of clinical and non-clinical problems.
Exceptional computer skills (including operating systems, word processing, database, electronic mail, Internet, spreadsheets, and other office management systems), Ability to develop and maintain databases and associated analysis and reporting.
Quality Assurance: Skills to work efficiently and effectively and strive to do so in all aspects of position, Effective project management skills and attention to detail.
Personnel Management: Ability to coordinate among diverse constituents.
Discretion and Confidentiality: Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters discreetly and to ensure confidentiality guidelines are maintained by staff.
Safety/Compliance: Knowledge in aspects of safety applicable to position, Knowledge of and compliance with institutional, JCAHO, HIPAA, and other regulatory bodies standards.
Time Management: Exceptional organizational skills and ability to organize time and priorities effectively, asking for direction when appropriate. Flexibility to handle multiple tasks and deadline pressures.
Skills to work efficiently and effectively and strive to do so in all aspects of position.
Ability to identify issues/projects and initiates plans to address, Demonstrates forthrightness and integrity. Ability to develop a common vision, communicate effectively, sell ideas, and take ownership and responsibility for activities.
Ability to manage resources effectively and to ensure accurate and compliant billing processes.
In-patient and out-patient setting. Typical work hours will be Monday Friday between 8:00 AM 5:00 PM, with occasional commitments outside of these hours as needed. Some duties may be performed within the hospital setting in-patient units, outpatient clinics, and the clinical research center. This position will be primarily located at our Danvers Office with some assigned coverage in Boston when needed.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.