Network Engineer 8/25/2016
Fort Collins, CO
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Description
Decypher is a leading integrator of professional, technology, and management solutions and services. We provide our services globally to Federal, Commercial, Local and State clients. Our employees are our most valuable asset and play an integral role in the success of Decypher and our clients. Working at Decypher is not a job, but a career where your talent and energy is respected and you can personally make a difference. Decypher invites you to join our professional team. Decypher is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce (M/F/D/V).
Decypher is seeking Network Engineer candidates to support the USDA at Fort Collins, CO
* Designs technical solutions supporting APHIS network infrastructure. This includes development of alternatives for new or upgraded hardware, software, systems or service by doing a cost/benefit analysis of alternatives and developing documentation for presentation to management and technical personnel that clearly and accurately describes the alternatives and provides a recommendation.
* Coordinates and performs pre-installation and installation of hardware, software, systems or services associated with the implementation of an approved design or plan.
* Maintains the availability of the APHIS hardware, software, systems or services on a day-to-day basis. This includes monitoring and tracking of availability and performance. Works with APHIS staff and vendors to resolve issues.
* Communicates with and coordinates the assistance from other IT staff members, vendors and service providers to resolve problems as needed.
* Monitors, analyzes, and communicates hardware, software, systems, or services performance impacts with the Department (USDA staff), other USDA Agencies, State and Local Governments, Local Exchange Carriers, and equipment and service vendors to minimize the risk of adverse impacts to any of the involved organizations.
* Tests and recommends new hardware, software, systems or services to meet program needs, develops specifications for IT acquisitions, and assesses impacts of new technologies on the APHIS infrastructure.
* Communicates to the team the assignment, project, problem to be solved, actionable events, milestones, and/or program issues under review, and deadlines and timeframes for completion.
* Documents and prepares reports, maintain records of work accomplishments, and provides other administrative information as needed.
* Plans and coordinates resources to gather needed information to assist APHIS in making decisions on major work problems and new issues.
* Only cybersecurity configurations approved by the Information Security Branch (ISB) will be implemented. Such approval shall come only from the Information System Security Program Manager (ISSPM), the Deputy ISSPM, or the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO).
* Develop a Needs Assessment and Testing Plan that includes recommendations for upgrades of new services and hardware, cost and benefit analysis, and documentation to present to management and technical personnel that clearly and accurately describes the alternatives.
* Develop a Project Plan to track and procure needed components and services. Perform configuration tasks for various network components.
* Track equipment inventory while complying with USDA/APHIS regulations and procedures. Ensure equipment inventory is complete and up- to-date on Change Management Request document. Assist in the procurement process for necessary network components.
* Provide optimized and reliable network configurations in accordance with established guidelines and standards. Coordinate all configuration tasks in accordance with documented procedures for implementing new technologies in a production environment.
* Active Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) level Certification with focus on Routing and switching.
* 5 plus years of managing enterprise or carrier class networks
* Intermediate experience managing operational networks in diverse environment
* Experience with LAN/WAN troubleshooting/problem determination skills (T1, T3, DS3, Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, CAT5/6, Multi-mode/Single-mode Fiber connectivity)
* Experience working with Tier 3 structured Network support teams and interacting with Local Exchange Carriers (LEC) and major carriers/equipment vendors for resolving issues through various Technical Assistance Centers (TAC).
* Experience using Network analysis tools (SolarWinds Engineering tools, SolarWinds Enterprise Network Management (Log & Event Manager, Performance Monitor, Netflow traffic Analyzer)) for quick problem resolution and analysis.
* LAN troubleshooting/problem determination skills (Ethernet, Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP), Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Border Gateway Protocol (BGP))
* General experience and knowledge of IOS for various CISCO Routers and switches, CISCO Aggregation Service Routers (ASR), and Virtual Switching Systems (VSS)
* IP services, e.g., IP, Multicast, Quality of Service (QOS), and Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
* Adhere to and enforce all relevant APHIS Network cybersecurity policies and procedures.
* Has good writing, oral, and presentations skills