Network Engineering Architect
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/9/2016
END DATE 11/3/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONPost Date:
Salesforce will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
You will be someone who is not only a technology visionary but can establish a team and through that team enable the creation of architecture design packages centered around infrastructure automation. Review and approve engineering design packages, ensure proper oversight for quality assurance of engineering artifacts (IDLC/DOD). Guide engineering staff throughout the build phase, reinforce alignment to architectural standards/principles for sustainability, service resiliency, and global security/compliance specific guidelines, and has the demonstrated ability to understand complex systems environments to minimize technical exposure and risk during project delivery to production.
* Develop and publish standards for network architecture to include backbone and customer projects.
* Research new technologies and equipment; develop technical specification for new products and services.
* Responsible for developing and conducting test of hardware, software (network OS) and services.
* Resolve architecture issues and provide improved design methodologies.
* Responsible for taking a product from concept to operation both regarding network topology and supporting systems.
* Be a leader with vision in the global network backbone and edge architecture space, leading efforts to define, advocate, select, and ultimately deliver the salesforce.com next generation network architectures, partnering closely with the data center network architect to provide a comprehensive view of the global salesforce.com network.
* Work closely with multi-functional architecture primaries across multiple disciplines to gather and define network requirements to which network architectures will be required to meet.
* Deliver network architecture documentation, standards documentation, and all typical design and architecture documentation of all new architecture and design decisions for consumption by engineering, implementation, and operations teams.
* Perform proof of concept and pilot implementation for all next generation hardware/software platforms.
* Provide input into long-range networking requirements and operational guidelines, with a focus on meeting demands of a rapidly growing and scaling global service, with experience delivering network orchestration and automation and also continuing to improve the performance and reliability of the network and the overall service.
* Provide critical ownership and leadership for infrastructure tooling, orchestration, and automation for all customer facing salesforce.com production data center networks.
* Work in close collaboration with Salesforce R&D developers on next generation features and their impact on the network.
* Formulating and implementing standards related to network hardware with respect to monitoring and management.
* Some travel may be required
* BS/MS Degree in Computer Science. Advanced degree is a plus
* 10+ years direct experience required in the management and administration of network infrastructure - routers, switches, load balancers, SSL acceleration technology, etc. - in a high-availability / e-commerce infrastructure on a 24x7x365 basis. 5+ years of experience in global, production-scale infrastructure delivering multiple 9s of availability over an infrastructure comprised of 10s or 100s of thousands of servers consuming 10s or 100s of gigabits of data per second.
* 10+ years experience with network protocols for routing and access, including but not limited to: BGP, IS-IS, MPLS, LDP, RSVP, QoS/CoS, OSPF, IPv6, Traffic Engineering, 802.3ag and layer 2 protocols (Spanning Tree, RPVST+/VSTP, LACP, LISP and 802.1q)
* 10+ years experience with developing highly flexible multi-site, high availability and disaster recovery network architectures in carrier class environments.
* You should be familiar with test and traffic generation equipment (Spirent, IXIA, etc.)
* Have in-depth knowledge of Domain Name Service policies and Address Management
* Have be able to diagnose and resolve routing issues, congestion problems, and hardware and software failures.
* Understanding of peering policies vs. transit policies and the ability to develop global transport, peering, and transit policies using multiple TE and network management techniques
* Understanding the current state of the Internet's network major players and quality between vendors
* You should be detailed oriented and highly motivational and the ability to work in a collaborative environment.
* Dark and lit fiber transport with short, long, and extended reach optics
* Understanding of transport technologies (e.g., CWDM/DWDM) and vendors, 10/40/100Gig Ethernet, and all other Ethernet-based solutions, and OC-x lit solutions
* Strongly versed in a variety of hardware and software manufacturers, and a high degree of comfort and experience in mixed vendor environments e.g. Cisco, Juniper, as well as developing and deploying solutions on open source technology.
* Strong familiarity with the state of network technology, and versed in virtualization, SDN, and similar constructs.
* Strong functional knowledge of TCP/IP required.
* Validated expertise and ability developing next-generation infrastructure, including requirements specification, vendor evaluation, and selection, data-driven POCs, load testing, automated test suites, vendor interoperability, pilot deployments, and iterative design.
* Thorough understanding of security concepts and putting those ideas into practice in a network environment. Firewall, IDS, DDoS, etc. experience strongly preferred.
* You should have strong knowledge of one of the following programming languages: Perl, Python, JAVA, shell scripting, Ruby.
* Excellent written and oral communication skill with experience presenting highly conceptual designs to executives, mid-level management, fellow architects, and peer engineers.
* Experience forecasting, budgeting, and cost modeling to meet business, financial, and technical requirements in a coherent package.
* Experience with multi-site routing, peering, and disaster recovery network architectures.
* Technical certification such as CCIE or JNCIE is desirable but not required
* Experience with any of the following is highly desirable: UNIX systems (RH, Linux, Solaris), programming and scripting (C, Perl, SQL, JAVA, etc...)
* Experience with optical transmission systems (Ciena, Infinera, ADVA, Cisco) is desirable but not required
* Experience with asynchronous/threaded/multi-processing design patterns such as worker pools, pipes, queues, locking.
* Contributing member to popular industry forums and standards bodies e.g. IETF, IEEE, NANOG, ARIN, RIPE, APNIC
Salesforce, the Customer Success Platform, and world's #1 CRM empowers companies to connect with their customers in a whole new way. The company was founded on three disruptive ideas: a new technology model in cloud computing, a pay-as-you-go business model, and a new integrated corporate philanthropy model. These founding principles have taken our company to great heights, including being named one of Forbes's "World's Most Innovative Company" five years in a row and one of Fortune's "100 Best Companies to Work For" eight years in a row. We are the fastest growing of the top 10 enterprise software companies, and this level of growth equals incredible opportunities to grow a career at Salesforce. Together, with our whole Ohana (Hawaiian for "family") made up of our employees, customers, partners, and communities, we are working to improve the state of the world.
Salesforce.com is an Equal Employment