Network Specialist II
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/11/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe NOC Specialist is an employee of the Tier 2 IP-Data Networks team. Primary responsibility is break/fix support in a 24x7 environment of Frontier's national data backbone.
* In this role, the Network Specialist II will be responsible for troubleshooting network outages; Routers, DSLAMs and ATM/Ethernet switches, as well as metro-e and FIOS services; to quickly and effectively isolate the fault/trouble and take appropriate fix action to resolve or escalate the event within a timely manner; respective and conscious of keeping the MTTR low
* It requires highly technical critical thinking skills, along with the ability to interact with internal and external customers, COT's, vendors, engineers, operations and all levels of management.
Day-to-Day Work Responsibilities:
* Serve as an escalation point (and or support) for our Tier 1 NOC Organizations (Commercial NOC North and South, the Allen NOC, MCO, IHD, FSC, CCSC), as well as work with Tier 3 support and Engineering as required for specific network or equipment issues
* Isolate, troubleshoot and resolve advanced network issues on Layer 1, layer 2, and layer 3network devices (DSLAMS, aggregators, ATM switches, Ethernet switches, routers)
* Work with field technicians and local management to assist in the resolution of equipment or network level outages
* Actively participate (and engage from a technical perspective) in network outage bridge calls to troubleshoot and resolve small to large network outages
* Utilize, manage and maintain network and performance monitoring tools to ensure network reliability (SNMPc, Solarwinds, Nagios, NavisCore, Netcool, and Peakflow)
* Utilize element management systems (EMS) to manage the DSLAM and switch network (Adtran, Alcatel, Calix, Naviscore, and next-gen)
* Perform Root Cause Analysis (RCA) for network outages that require details on what caused an outage, what was done to resolve it and what can be done to reduce impact or prevent future occurrences
* Support other groups outside your BAU roles and responsibilities; i.e., IP Assignments who may need assistance with the provisioning of IP address assignments
* Actively participate in our Avaya Phone Queue Management system; be available for any support type call that is routed to our group
OTHER DUTIES AND OR ASSIGNED REQUIREMENTS:
* Network monitoring, support or administration experience
* Participate in shift work and on-call (weekends and holidays) are "required" and highly desirable experience in order to support 24x7 operations
* Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
* MUST BE ABLE TO WORK ANY SHIFT IN A 24X7 ENVIRONMENT
* Experience maintaining and troubleshooting FIOS and OLT equipment/configuration
* Experience supporting and maintaining ATT Uverse equipment and service
* Experience troubleshooting and maintaining Metro-E circuits/equipment
* Cisco and Juniper router CLI experience with configurations and/or interpretations
* Experience configuring and supporting DSLAM's: Adtran/Calix/ALU/Tellabs
* ATM/Ethernet switch experience: Ciena/ALU/Cisco
* Working knowledge of MPLS networking
* Ethernet, ATM, routing experience
* Experience with major Internet protocols such as TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, DHCP, BGP, OSPF, ICMP and RADIUS
* Knowledge of the following networking concepts: OSI model, IP subnetting, DNS, ATM, Ethernet, troubleshooting processes, DS3/OC3/GE circuit troubleshooting, IP/Data routing
* Familiar with network standards protocols and best practices prescribed by ITU, IEEE and MEF.
* Programming and scripting languages highly desired
* Work experience in Telecommunications Network Operations Center
* Knowledge of planning, engineering, and provisioning with respect to troubleshooting workflows
* Any vendor specific certifications (Adtran, Calix. ALU, etc.)