New Product Dev Mechanical Engineer III 9/3/2016
Varian Medical Systems, Inc.
Las Vegas, NV
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Position Title
New Product Dev Mechanical Engineer III
Auto req ID
Business Unit Name
Varian Imaging Components - SIP
The Industrial Components division of Varian Medical Systems is looking for a seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of area specialization; resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways. Designs and analyzes mechanical, components, assemblies and systems.
Develops specifications for equipment and packaging. Conducts feasibility studies and testing on new and modified designs based on engineering analysis. Performs detailed design, design testing and prototype fabrication. Works with peers and support personnel primarily in the development of industrial x-ray components and systems.
Works with New Product Development team to design and develop products and systems used for security screening and non-destructive testing. Provides key contributions in mechanical design, structural analysis and documentation required for high-energy X-Ray systems including:
1. Participates in the definition of requirements and specifications for new designs and the design review process.
2. Participates in the detailed system and subsystem design and analysis.
3. Works closely with electrical, controls and other teams in new product development and sustaining engineering.
4. Develops and implement test plans for the verification of new designs and optimization of existing designs.
5. Identifies and champion cost reduction, standardization and reliability improvement opportunities.
6. Supports to other departments through optimization and manufacturing transition phases.
7. Supports regulatory requirements. Knowledge of US and international standards a plus.
8. Supports the engineering change and document control processes.
9. Provides simulation modeling of structural elements and systems using COSMOS, Ansys or similar tools.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Minimum Required Skills and Knowledge:
Proficient in utilizing business tools such as: E-mail, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience with SAP or equivalent ERP product and productivity software desired.
Fluent with Pro-E, SolidWorks and AutoCAD.
Ability to design and optimize mechanical components, assemblies and systems including primary and secondary structure.
Ability to create accurate and effective engineering documentation including analytical reports, fabrication and assembly drawings.
Proven skills in stress analysis finite elements, thermal and fluidic analysis a plus.
Proven understanding of mechanical design including machining tolerances and methods.
Excellent presentation skills.
Experience with formal NPI processes.
Understanding of material and environmental specifications and testing.
Understanding of engineering change processes.
Ability to use WindChill.
Ability to function independently or as part of a team.
Understanding of supply chain.
Ability to interface with Vendors and Clients.
Typical Education and Experience:
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited university 5 years of related experience or Masters of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited university with 3 years of related experience.
Percentage of Travel Required