Nurse Practitioner, Per Diem - Cancer Center-Infusion Unit (NP PD)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 1/8/2017
University of California - San Francisco Medical Centers
San Francisco, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Title
Nurse Practitioner, Per Diem - Cancer Center-Infusion Unit (NP PD)
8 ; 20%
Cancer Cntr-Infusion Unit MZ
This classification is represented by a union
Our legacy of unsurpassed patient care and unceasing mission to integrate high-tech medical research with clinical operations has led to our prestigious standing as one of the top 10 hospitals in the nation according to U.S. News & World Report. As a premier health care institution dedicated to advancing health worldwide, UCSF Medical Center can also be the best place to advance and shape your career.
The medical center's employees are one of the most important reasons why we are recognized as one of the nation's best hospitals. To work at UCSF Medical Center is to be part of an institution that provides the highest caliber of care to patients; a nurturing, dynamic and team-oriented atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
The UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center is the only center in the Bay Area to receive the prestigious designation of "comprehensive" from the National Cancer Institute. We treat all forms of cancer.
With new facilities, expanded programs and innovative research, we help cancer patients live longer and fuller lives. The center ranks first in California and sixth nationwide in National Cancer Institute research grants, and is home to pioneers in research into genetic, cellular and immune system causes and responses to cancer.
Under direction, guided by the Committee on Interdisciplinary Practice ( CIDP ) Standardized Process and Outcome Protocols and Procedures of the Ambulatory Services, and in collaboration with the physician staff, the Nurse Practitioner provides direct care to patients with multiple, often complicated chronic medical problems in the Infusion Center setting. This position may provide coverage at multiple infusion sites.
Assignments at this level may include the direction of continuity of care for patients with multiple medical problems; providing direct care to this group of patients, responsibility for occasional community teaching programs, participation in program planning, and development of patient and staff education information. S/he consistently projects a professional and courteous demeanor. The Nurse Practitioner shall comply with the Medical Center House and Telephone Standards.
This position requires the flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Medical Center locations.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
* Elicits and documents a complete health history.
* Performs and documents a complete physical examination.
* Orders appropriate diagnostic tests.
* Assesses patient s perception of their health status, personal strengths, and support systems as well as patient problems that include psycho-social, physical, environmental, economic, and cultural factors.
* Identifies patients and families at risk for specific health care problems.
* Formulates diagnoses based on health history, physical examination, and diagnostic tests.
* Formulates and documents health care plans with patients and their families which include treatment, health maintenance education, and counseling.
* Establishes, reviews, and documents short and long-term goals in collaboration with each patient.
* Plans comprehensive patient care with other health care providers.
* Demonstrates ability to provide appropriate care based on the needs of a specific individual, including that individual s age. Check applicable age-specific group:
* Neonatal (Birth 1 years)
* Pediatric (1 12 years)
* Adolescent (13 18 years)
* Adult (19 64 years)
* Geriatric (65+ years)
* Institutes treatment plans based on assessments and interpretations of diagnostic tests and physical findings.
* Counsels patients according to their individual motivation and compliance.
* Provides telephone advice and triage of acute and unscheduled patients.
* Documents all pertinent data and interventions in the patient s records.
* Provides refills for routine medications.
* Institutes appropriate action when reviewing abnormal lab data and diagnostic tests.
* Consults with other providers, as indicated.
* Evaluates the patient s understanding of and compliance with health care plan by regular follow-up and reassessment.
* Re-evaluates short and long-term goals with patients and participating health professionals.
* Patient and Family
* Identifies the learning needs of the patients and family members.
* Assesses the patient s readiness to learn.
* Provides individualized health education.
* Develops teaching goals and objectives that meet the patient s and family health care needs.
* Staff and Students
* Functions as a clinical resource person.
* Participates in formal and informal teaching programs.
* Serves as a preceptor for nurse practitioner students and participates in the evaluation of their clinical experience.
* Functions as the health care provider for a specified group of patients.
* Coordinates patient care activities and health care planning among multiple providers, patients, and their families.
* Communicates and consults with family, staff and unit personnel prior to and during the patient s hospitalization. May also participate in discharge planning when appropriate.
* Promotes ongoing communication with community agencies to facilitate continuity of patient care.
* Promotes the participation of patients and families in planning their care.
* Assists patients in obtaining information necessary to make an informed decision and supports patients in the decision making process.
* Informs patients of the Patient Bill of Rights.
* Provides referrals to community resources when appropriate.
* Evaluates the quality of patient care through involvement in and planning of quality assurance programs.
* Participates in yearly performance evaluation and review of job description, and seeks resources to improve professional performance.
* Assists Practice Manager in evaluating the performance of clinical staff.
* Demonstrates courtesy, common sense and follow through in all telephone communications, maintaining the Telephone Standards as established by the management expectations of the Medical Center.
* Complies with all Ambulatory Services and Medical Center policies and procedure for infection control, safety, administrative and clinical practice.
* Complies with standards/requirements mandated by the Joint Commission / Title 22 / NCQA.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Functions as a contributing member of the Hematology/Oncology outpatient team in individual practice sites. Meets productivity expectations as set forth by the individual practice. Provides Nurse Practitioner support and develops implements and evaluates a program of specialized health care for a select patient population. Promotes a collaborative relationship and effort between the medical staff and professional nurses toward continuity of patient care and efficient use of resources. Serves as a role model for professional nursing practice. Performs any other duties related to patient care activities as required.
The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Medical Center locations is