Nurse Practitioner, Plastic Surgery
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/30/2016
END DATE 11/8/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The Nurse Practitioner is responsible for supporting the Chief of the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. The NP will obtain patient histories, perform comprehensive physical examinations to evaluate and arrange for diagnostic procedures, coordinate consultations, implement treatment plans, and communicate and document as required. The incumbent will be responsible for assuring competent, compassionate assessment and care of his/her patients by screening, educating, and assisting in the preparation of office procedures, coordinating the patients plan of care, verifying test results and communicating between the patient and the physician.
The NP promotes a collaborative relationship and effort between the patient and the plastic surgery team, including other nurse practitioners, medical assistants, attendings, and support staff.
* Follows and manages patients (in collaboration with the MD) enhancing continuity of care. This includes preparation for discharge.
* Performs (oversees/assures completion of) specialized procedures particular to the select population mutually agreed upon.
* Performs medically delegated aspects of patient care as agreed according to practice guidelines.
* Collaborates with supervising surgeon to facilitate a comprehensive plan of care and coordinate resources.
* Writes orders that are in accord with current guidelines.
* Maintains and practices in accord with practitioner guidelines per state and hospital regulations.
* Provides pre-surgical education to patients on what to expect before, during and after surgery.
* Proactively calls patients post-operatively at home to answer any questions and ensure patient well-being. Also serves as patients contact before and after surgery if he/she has clinical questions related to activity, wound management, etc.
* Evaluates patients post-operatively, as necessary, and performs dressing changes and tissue expanders as appropriate.
* Actively communicates patients progress and discharge plans to referring physician and assure that communication is maintained throughout care.
* Identifies and implements improvements in the service delivered to and scheduling of breast reconstruction patients.
* Collaborates with Cancer Center medical oncologist and/or radiation oncologist.
* Documents and reports all physician questions, concerns, complaints, and resolutions.
* Implement and coordinate specialty services and processes to meet the patient care needs of the Chiefs practice.
* Serve as the first point of contact for patients and provide a clinical constant for questions, information and care. Maintains optimum quality assurance in all aspects of patient care
* Orders, interprets and evaluates appropriate lab and diagnostic tests.
* Documents plan of care in patients medical record and documents and records all visits and procedures .
* Obtains brief history and relevant patient history, physical examination and reasons for the visit, and records this information. Reviews patient history and other supporting clinical data to facilitate optimum care.
* Explains and educates patients about any necessary procedures or surgeries.
* Assembles all necessary information and data for Reviewing MD.
* Communicates the plan of care and other pertinent information to/from other healthcare providers.
* Works with physician and office staff to maintain equipment. Participates in routine care and maintenance of equipment.
* Possess a global awareness of the daily schedule both for the individual as well as the entire staff.
* Performs new techniques and/or routines as necessitated by technological advances/changes.
* Utilizes resources efficiently to facilitate optimal patient care.
* Maintains a clean work area (i.e. clean laundry bags, counters, cabinets, machines, etc.)
* Research- Involved in research projects, as directed.
* Facilitate and manage Chiefs clinical research efforts
* Monitors patient outcomes in accordance with defined standards of patient care.
* Works with the multidisciplinary team to identify system-wide factors contributing to undesirable outcomes, such as complications, increased length of stay and overutilization of services.
* Facilitates patient movement through the system and efficient use of resources through interdepartmental collaboration.
* Supports research efforts to advance knowledge and to promote research-based practice.
* Evaluates own practice and program effectiveness.
* Identifies pertinent nursing and health delivery problems for investigation.
* Evaluates current research findings for clinical specialty and determines applicability to unit practice.
* Assists nursing and medical colleagues in research efforts.
* Serves on appropriate intra and interdepartmental committees.
Continuing Education/Professional Growth:
Responsible for own professional growth and identifies own learning needs and goals.
* Maintains the credentials, standards, education, skills and knowledge requirements specific to the position and licensure and certification, including continuing education (CEUs)Completes the 100 hours of continuing medical education necessary during each 2-year period of employment
* Takes responsibilities for leadership and participation on committees and task forces of the division and the hospital
* Assumes responsibility for disseminating and communicating information to colleagues.
* Maintains and updates clinical knowledge and skills based on current health care practice/research. Attends internal and external education meetings and reads appropriate professional journals in order to maintain and enhance skills and clinical competence. Is encouraged to advance his/her medical and technical skills as appropriate to deliver optimum patient care.
* Maintains membership in relevant professional associations.
* Participates in professional staff and student teaching both formal and informal.
* Participates in research activities to expand knowledge base.
* Participates in quality assurance activities.
* Nurse Practitioner certification.
* At least five years of clinical experience required
* Clinical work experience in office-based surgical or medical practice(s) preferred.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.