Nurse Practitioner-Surgery 8/31/2016
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB SUMMARY: The surgical nurse practitioner serves as a key clinical provider and team member in the treatment and management of the surgical patient in the pre, peri and post-operative setting. He/she will practice under the direction of the Chief of Surgery and other attending surgeons in a manner consistent with both the Board of Registration in Medicine regulations and hospital policy. Primarily, surgical nurse practitioners (NPs) will cover patients of BID-Needham physicians credentialed in the Department of Surgery. The surgical nurse practitioner is responsible for the initial assessment and admission of patients; assisting in the evaluation and preparation of patients for surgery; acting as first and second assistant in the operating room; caring for patients following surgery and helping prepare patients for discharge.
* Performs comprehensive and problem focused history and physical exams (where indicated) on surgical patients admitted through the Emergency Department and on those held for Observation, initiates appropriate tests, and scrutinizes lab data and hospital admissions to establish a record of the patient's current health status and to develop a working diagnosis and treatment plan
* Performs and interprets, at least to the point of recognizing deviations from normal, common laboratory, radiologic, cardiographic and other routine diagnostic procedures used to identify pathophysiologic processes, as privileged
* Interprets and correlates subjective and objective data to formulate a differential diagnosis and establishes a working diagnosis
* Formulates a treatment plan for medical problems within scope of practice. Writes initial orders in coordination with the attending physician. Implements therapeutic intervention for specific conditions, when appropriate. Educates patients regarding their disease, treatments, related drug and treatment side effects and hazards
* Exercises judgment on problems requiring consultation, referral, or evaluation by the supervising surgeon or other health care professionals
* Bachelor's degree in Nurse Practitioner required.
* License Registered Nurse required., and Registration Nurse Practitioner License required.
* 3-5 years related work experience required.
* Must be approved by Board of Directors BID-Needham
* Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
AGE BASED COMPETENCIES:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Heavy work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force frequently. Work is physically demanding and requires extended periods of standing and/or moving.
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the linked poster:http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf