This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/15/2016
END DATE 10/29/2016
University of Kansas Hospital
Kansas City, KS
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Details
I am at least 18 years of age
I am authorized to work in the United States
I meet the job requirements as described
Work among the best. We are a top 25 employer in the metro area offering a wide array of career opportunities within our organization. We have a leading reputation for patient care, medical education, research, and community service. We value and respect the talented, committed, and diverse people who make up our hospital; they are our most important strength. The hospital offers very competitive wages and an outstanding benefit package.
We currently have an opening for Optician Certified
* Interprets prescription and helps patients chose appropriate eyewear, consulting with prescribing physician as appropriate
* Administers the dispensing functions of the clinic
* Monitors and performs a wide variety of optical patient care activities and services
* Handles customer complaints, refunds and related matters
* Informs and instructs optometrists and physicians of new products and services
* Initiates and answers patient correspondence. Prepares and writes reports.
* Maintains required records and files.
* Maintains knowledge of and complies with established policies and procedures
* Responsible for the care and upkeep of department equipment
* Maintains proper inventory of materials and supplies
* Takes optical measurements necessary for eyewear preparation
* Evaluates patients for assistance in lens design
* Orders eyewear from laboratory based on prescription and patient preference
* Performs quality inspection of lenses and frames
* Instructs patients on cleaning and handling of eyewear
* Repairs, adjusts, and dispenses prescription lenses and frames
* Receives and posts payments from patients
* Transmits claims and posts payments from insurance plans (VSP, Superior, MCR, etc.)
* Consults with ophthalmologists, optometrists, physicians and patients
* Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations
* High School graduation or GED required
* Completion of an accredited optician program and knowledge in the field of optometry sufficient to make and dispense eyeglasses required
* Two years optical experience in dispensing eyeglasses as well as experience managing an optical shop
* Certificate/License from the American Board of Opticianry (ABO) required
*** If selected to move forward in the hiring process, you will receive an email invitation to schedule your interview for this position. Please continue to check your email after you have submitted your complete application online.
To check the status of your application, please login to the Careers page and select the Application History tab ***
The University of Kansas Medical Center is committed to providing an equal opportunity for all qualified individuals to be considered for employment, benefits and conditions of employment, and to participate in or benefit from education programs and activities, regardless of race, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, or genetic information. A university community that provides equal opportunity for all will make significant strides towards the elimination of discrimination.
It is the mission of the Equal Opportunity Office to create a community of equality and inclusiveness that provides full and fair opportunities for all persons and to foster an intellectually and culturally diverse environment of learning and leadership where all individuals are valued, respected, and unhindered in their pursuit of excellence in their work and education.