ORCA Clinical Application Support Manager (Cerner) 9/2/2016
University of Washington / UW Medicine
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY UW Medicine's IT Services department is looking for an outstanding ORCA CLINICAL APPLICATION SUPPORT MANAGER to join the team!
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR
* Patients Are First focus
* Customer service mindset
* Interpersonal skills and teamwork
* Results-oriented attitude
* Adaptability and flexibility
WHAT ARE THE PERKS
* Medical insurance at reasonable rates with TEN plans to choose from!
* Dental Insurance at no cost to you OR your dependentsAND we have three plans for you to choose from!
* 10 paid holidays annually!
* 1 personal holiday every year!
* Generous amounts of vacation and sick leave that you can feel good about taking (more than 5 work weeks in your first year) !
* TWO Retirement plans to choose from - one even matches 100% of your contributions with immediate vesting!
* Voluntary Investment program to save more towards your retirement!
* Deferred Compensation program to save even MORE towards your retirement!
* Flexible Spending Account...Tax Exempt!
* Dependent Care Assistance program!
* On-site Childcare Centers!
* Long Term Disability insurance!
* Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance!
* U-PASS transportation program and discounted parkingPRE-TAX!
* Tuition Exemption program - at the UW (and other colleges around the state)!
* Housing resources and home buying options!
* Auto, home, renter, and boat group insurance!
* Valuable membership and merchandise discounts!
* Federal studentloan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program!
And now for some of the "official" language:
The ORCA (Cerner) Clinical Application Support Manager provides leadership to the Cerner Clinical Application Support (CAS) team and is responsible for the management of electronic health record applications in a production environment, with an emphasis on the Online Record of Clinical Activity (ORCA). ORCA is implemented through a configurable vendor-based application from Cerner Corporation and is one of the primary electronic health records (EHR) for UW Medical Center, Harborview Medical Center, and Seattle Cancer Care Alliance.
The scope of responsibility includes management of systems operations, processes, and design standards and oversight and supervision of the CAS team and management of customer relationships. Key responsibilities include ensuring the availability and stability of mission-critical clinical applications; working with customers to provide exceptional customer service; coordination of all support activities in the production environment; working with the vendor on issues and improvements for system function and stability; and participating in the annual budgeting lifecyle.
The ORCA CAS Manager must work closely with UW Medicine operational committees, internal customers, and other directors and managers as they centralize and operationalize departmental business systems. Close interaction with executive sponsor teams from UW Medicine is expected. Frequent interaction occurs with otherITS Managers, Directors, and Analysts for solving problems across systems. Interaction with operations staff is required to assure that production processes perform properly. UW Medicine relies on enterprise wide technological solutions and electronic information to enable the quickest and most reliable health care for its customers. These systems must be available on a 24x7 basis in order to allow Physicians, Nursing, and all other clinical staff access to vital patient information. If the systems are not available the potential for adverse impact to patient care or life as well as lost revenue are very real. Both the availability and the security of the information are of the highest priority.
The Cerner product is a suite of applications with multiple points of integration. If integration--the primary responsibility of this position--is not optimal, a change or problem in one portion of the application can impact all other portions of the application which may result in system malfunction, downtime, or delays in project implementation.
_Manage and Lead Team (30%)_
* Supervise and direct team of technical and application analysts to design, develop, implement, and support applications and systems that meet user requirements and are customer-service oriented.
* Identify staffing requirements including: staff planning, recruitment, retention, training, coaching, supervision, evaluation, and, if necessary, performance improvement plans.
* Emphasize enterprise and IT Services vision and guiding principles to all staff.
* Provide functional and technical expertise to staff.
* Communicate IT Services and UW Medicine policy to the staff.
* Establish and maintain technical and functional standards.
* Build, grow, and support positive team culture.
* Resource Management: Identify and recommend appropriate staff and material resources for projects; Assign resources for analysis and active projects; Monitor resource requirements across project activities and make adjustments, as needed; Arrange and facilitate appropriate participation by Subject Matter Experts (SME) in project activities; Manage operations and track to approved budget; May supervise contractors.
_Systems Operations Management (25%)_
* Ensure that production systems operate accurately, reliably and efficiently. Research and analyze system performance and plan improvement measures. Work closely with staff to analyze problems and implement solutions.
* Monitor Severity 1 and 2 tickets to ensure appropriate response time.
* Communicate, coordinate, and facilitate planned system maintenance events and responses to unplanned system incidents/outages.
* Ensure proper monitoring of system availability and performance and report associated metrics to Leadership.
* Plan, develop, and implement standard application support processes.
* Establish and manage on-callstaffing for 24x7 user support.
_Customer Relationships (15%)_
Create and maintain a service-oriented relationship with customers. Expected communications include:
* setting expectations for scope, schedule, and effort for defined projects
* setting priorities for service requests
* reporting status of current efforts
* identifying issues and potential solutions
* establishing appropriate timelines/schedules for problem resolution and service delivery
* Participate in the system planning process with IT Services and medical centers leadership to include identifying strategic goals, prioritizing needs, and budgeting.
* Participate in research, planning, evaluation, and implementation of strategic systems.
* Work with IT Services and customer leadership to build business cases for significant system improvements or replacement.
* Develop implementation strategy, budget, and roadmap in conjunction with operational and ITS leadership teams.
_Process Management (10%)_
Develop and operate internal systems that maintain and improve the effectiveness of the application support function. This includes ensuring the following:
* Appropriate customer service measures are in place.
* Appropriate status reporting and communication mechanisms are in place to highlight progress, plans, and issues.
* With team, plan, and manage the enhancement cycle including identification of those enhancements requiring formal project management.
* Collaborate with project managers and directors to assist and support projects through production readiness, conversion support and turnover to operations.
* Liaison to technical and architecture teams at both enterprise and project level.
_Vendor Management (5%)_
* Primary contact for the vendor for system maintenance, support, and stability.
* Establish priorities for production issues and enhancements in consultation with CAS team, ORCA project leadership and medical center managers and analysts.
* Provide oversight to vendor resources assigned to production work including planned and unplanned outages,