Oat Agronomy Technician
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/23/2016
END DATE 11/5/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONFood. Purpose. You.
We serve the world by making food people love. As one of the world's leading food companies, General Mills believes that food should make us better. Food brings us joy and nourishes our lives, connecting us to each other and the earth. General Mills operates in more than 100 countries and markets more than 100 consumer brands, including Cheerios, Häagen-Dazs, Nature Valley, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Old El Paso, Yoplait and more. Headquartered in Minneapolis, General Mills had global net sales of US$16.6 billion during fiscal 2016.
We seek out the best talent, provide them with rich development resources, support, and the chance to lead something big. Choosing a career with General Mills means joining a company where you can make a difference in the lives of millions of people. There is tremendous opportunity here for individuals who are leaders, innovators, and want to be part of a company that serves the world by making food people love.
The oat agronomy technician, as part of GTECH's oat research program at South Dakota State University, will lead our grain analytics lab under the direction of General Mills' lead oat breeder. This position requires the ability to work autonomously, direct and supervise temporary labor, deliver results on a scheduled basis. Responsibilities will also include support for field activities of the oat breeding program as needed.
* Facilitating analytical testing services oat research program.
* Provide support and analysis of samples for all related inquiries.
* Troubleshooting plant methods.
* Investigating R&D/analytical issues.
* Developing a strong knowledge about analytical methods and operations.
* Investigate new technologies to help solve lab testing challenges.
* Train temporary personnel
* Field planting, harvesting, plot maintenance (April-July)
* Green house support (August-March)
* Farm machinery maintenance
* Plot protection spraying
* Fungicide efficacy and Herbicide tolerance
* Must be 18 years of age or older
* Must have the ongoing right to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
* BS in the agricultural, biological, chemical sciences or engineering preferred. Other degrees or non-degreed experienced candidates would be considered
* Some lab and/or field work preferred
* Effective written and oral communication skills
* Proficiency in basic computer skills
* Must be able to lift 50 lbs
* Must be able to perform physical tasks for extended periods of time including: standing, walking, climbing, bending, pushing, pulling and twisting over surfaces
* Willing and able to work any shift schedule, including nights and weekends
* Willing and able to adhere to all safety standards and wear all necessary personal protective equipment
We are not offering relocation assistance for this position at this time.