Occupational Health Nurse / RN
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/18/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONTITLE: OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH NURSE/RN
LOCATION: TOLEDO, OH
DURATION: FULL TIME
The Occupational Health Nurse (OHN) will function under the directives of the plant physician and the appropriate State Nurse Practice Act. The OHN will to the plant manager/plant HR manager and receive clarification of nursing directives from the Health Services Coordinator in Milwaukee. The OHN will manage the Health Services Department at the plant and participate as a team member when interacting with others in the plant community. The OHN will work to protect and conserve the health and safety of all workers at Company Power Solutions Battery plants and ensure compliance with applicable policies, procedures and government regulations.
* Develop and administer effective Occupational Health Program. Maintain health services policy manual based upon three factors:
* Directives from Local Physician liaison and plant management
* Directives from Health Services Coordinator in Milwaukee
* State Nurse Practice Act
* Administer and maintain medical emergency and BBP plans. This includes:
* Yearly plan updates and identifying and maintaining nationally recognized training for first responders in CPR/AED and first aid.
* Provide treatment for work-related and non-occupational injuries and illnesses:
* Administer emergency treatment.
* Recognize potential hazards and provide early intervention to avoid injuries and illnesses.
* Work with TPA for case management to include follow-up and early return to work for occupational injuries.
* Maintain OSHA 300 log and OSHA 301s as required by law.
* Maintain open line of communication up and down the chain of command regarding injuries and their resolution.
* Place injury, near miss, first aid, and property damage s into an electronic medical records system.
* Maintain worker's compensation files (separate from main medical record) for each injured employee.
* Disability/FMLA duties:
* Resident expert on FMLA matters and working knowledge of STD/LTD JCI standards.
* Process all request for FMLA per national standards.
* Communicate with employees and all staff with a need to know up and down the chain of command regarding the specifics of each FMLA approval.
* Place FMLA approvals in tracking system.
* Place medical leaves in HR electronic system and process return to work requests.
* Partner with HR manager to provide information on LTD to employees.
* Provide Employee Training:
* Provide new employee orientation to include: lead education, BBP training, hearing conservation and ergonomics/back safety. Ensure new employees understand and sign acknowledgements of lead effects.
* Provides new employees orientation on the proper use and reasons for PPE used in the plant environment.
* Provide annual training to employees on lead education, BBP pathogens, hearing conservation and ergonomics.
* Maintain plant health & safety training schedule as needed. Ensure training occurs accordingly on a monthly basis.
* Medical Surveillance:
* Coordinate pre-placement and as needed physical exams through local physician.
* Administer or send the following for drug/alcohol screenings: pre-placement candidates, for cause employees, and post-accident employees.
* Coordinate Hearing Conservation program and ensure annual testing for all affected employees.
* Maintain hearing conservation program policy and update annually and as needed.
* Responsible for acknowledging any annual STSs on employees and having retesting completed in a timely manner according to OSHA standards. Provide necessary follow-up after secondary test.
* Administer the medical surveillance and biological monitoring programs in accordance with OSHA's lead standards, JCI corporate policies and procedures, and plant specifications on lead.
* Provide respirator fit testing on hire and annually thereafter per OSHA/NIOSH standards.
* Maintain blood draw list and perform blood draws on all employees per established protocol.
* Partner with HR and Safety personnel to provide inventions and counseling for employees with high blood lead levels.
* Provide AED(s) in plant and maintain monthly check sheet for same.
* Maintain refrigerator log for all refrigerators housing blood or immunizations and update twice daily.
* Provide immunizations (flu, Hep-B, Tetanus) per established protocols.
* Health Care/Health Education Program:
* Ensures pre-employment candidates receive physical exam and drug testing per JCI policy.
* Provides health education and promotion programs to include: smoking cessation, exercise, fitness, nutrition, weight control, hypertension, immunizations and stress management.
* Coordinate blood drives and massage therapy appointments.
* Coordinate and conduct an annual health fair at facility.
* Provide vision and blood pressure screenings as needed.
* Assist employees with gaining access to EAP program as needed.
* Administer the Safety Eyewear Program.
* Expected Partnerships:
* Assist Safety in observing and teaching employees good work practices, housekeeping, hygiene, wearing of personal protective equipment and respirators.
* Conduct 5S audits and Six Sigma Projects as needed by CI.
* Partner with HR and supervisors to assist in employee matters.
* Maintain liaison with the Safety by identifying, preventing and controlling occupational injuries and illnesses.
* Conduct periodic plant walk through to assess safety, environmental and ergonomic hazards.
* Serve on the plant safety committee and participate in the investigation of illnesses and injuries.
* Attend Safestart training.
* Be knowledgeable in the Company Best Business Practices.
* General Administrative & Professional Duties (Utilizing HIPAA, OHSA, State Nurse Practice & Ethical standards):
* Create/maintain all necessary spreadsheets for aforementioned duties.
* Provide monthly s as needed by the plant/corporate office.
* Maintain employee medical and workers' compensation records.
* Maintain professional competency through participation in professional education and training programs and completion of any necessary requirements to maintain professional credentials.
* Maintain state nursing license.
* Overtime may be required to meet internal and external customer requirements.
* Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* 4-year Nursing Degree or currently working toward BSN
* Currently licensed in state of practice
* Minimum 1 year of experience in Occupational Health Nursing
* Knowledge and experience with Worker's Compensation
* Proficiency with soft applications, including MicroSoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
* Prefer: COHN or COHN-S certification and COHC Certification