Oncology Staff RN- Per Diem
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/16/2016
END DATE 2/7/2017
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONPRACTICE NURSE IN MGH CANCER CENTER
PRIMARY CLINICAL RESPONSIBILITES:
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The principal responsibility for a Practice Nurse in the MGH Cancer Center is to provide improved clinical care with a primary focus on many of the increasingly complex care issues of our patients at home and the timely triage of clinical issues to Advanced Care Nurse Practitioners and Medical Oncologists working in the outpatient setting.
The primary focus of the nurse will be the support of the oncology patients in the Cancer Center including the nursing evaluation, development and ongoing implementation of outpatient care plan, education and counseling of patients and families, and coordination of home nursing services, social services, and hospice services within a specific disease center. The Nurse will be available to assist with patients, care givers or family members.
The nurse will practice according to MGH, policies and procedures, and ONS standards of care.
SPECIFIC CLINICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
Serves as a contact with patients at home and in the outpatient setting, to ensure optimal clinical management in collaboration with the NPs and MDs. This includes patient teaching, prescription questions, symptom management, as well as monitoring patients at home for anticipated chemotherapy/surgery/radiation-associated toxicities, and screening for unanticipated toxicities/events.
* Assists with daily telephone triage
* Assist in triage of medical urgencies/emergencies to NP or MD (e.g. urgent medical problems)
* Coordinates (with assistance from NP/MD) VNA, Hospice, home infusion, laboratory services and monitoring.
* Coordinates, performs, and tracks injections according to pathways (such as Neulasta, Aranesp, and Lupron etc).
* Coordinates and performs blood draws and flushes of central lines (i.e. PACs)
* Coordinates and performs hydration in the practice and in coordination with Short Stay Infusion Unit and Yawkey 8 Infusion
* Coordinates patient education and develops needed educational materials within the specific disease centers.
* Coordinates a chemotherapy class for all new patients starting chemotherapy
* Coordinates and completes Disability forms and pre-authorizations as needed
* Assesses psychosocial needs of patients and families. Communicates with social service or psych for follow up
* Assists patients with Advanced Directives
* Coordinates and assists with the newly diagnosed patients for the weekly multidisciplinary clinics
COMMUNICATION AND DOCUMENTATION
* Provides ongoing patient management via telephone (prescriptions, teaching, symptom management)
* Attends and participates in team meetings
* Documents relevant patient information and current plan in LMR Record
* Documents patients medications in the LMR medication list
* Collaborates with Physicians and NPs
* Collaborates with Infusion Nurses, Short Stay Nurses, Radiation Nurses and Research Nurses
* Collaborates with NP/MD in clinical research trials
* Excellent communication skills when working with peers and patients
* Prioritizes promptly to respond to competing demands with complex patient population
* Assist in maintaining an environment for safe and comfortable patient care
* Maintains steady communication with other members of healthcare team
* Demonstrates sensitivity and patience in responding appropriately to the verbal and nonverbal communication of patients/families/and coworkers
* Shows flexibility and compassion when dealing with a variety of patients/families in stressful situations
* Acts independently and utilizes critical thinking in the resolution of clinical and non-clinical problems
* Visualizes and anticipates new problems and offers creative solution and problem solving process
* Reliability, punctuality and flexibility in daily work schedule with coordination of coverage when away from unit
PROFESSIONAL NURSING ACTIVITIES AND CONT EDUCATION
* Maintains CEUs and attends pertinent educational offerings to maintain a high level of clinical expertise
* Attends Disease Center rounds and team meetings
* Participates in Cancer Center Nursing Committees such as the Patient Education Committee and the Oncology Nursing Practice Committee
* Participates in Special Projects
REPORTING: The practice nurse reports directly to Practice Nurse Manager.
Current MA Licensure as a Nurse
BSN - Graduate of an accredited nursing program preferred OCN Certification desirable
Experience in Ambulatory Nursing
Knowledge and experience in Medical Oncology Nursing
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.