Online - English Faculty
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 12/2/2016
Virginia Beach, VA
The Faculty Member is responsible for delivering quality student-centered, hands-on (active) learning. As the leader of instruction in the classroom, this role is central to ECPI University s mission and is directly accountable for student learning and success. The Faculty Member is responsible for maintaining high levels of academic quality and student satisfaction in order to retain and successfully graduate students, while operating in compliance with University policies and procedures as well as all state, federal and accrediting agency regulations.
The Faculty Member s responsibilities are broken down into the areas of Instruction, Administrative Responsibility/Service to the University, Curriculum Responsibilities, Professional Responsibilities and additional assigned duties.
* Maintains acceptable course pass rates by using a variety of graded and non-graded assessments to evaluate student learning and explains procedures for evaluating student performance; receives acceptable classroom student end of course survey rating and participation rates.
* Maintains acceptable attendance rates by employing a variety of active learning techniques to engage students in the learning process and uses effective classroom management skills.
* Is well-organized, on-time , and prepared for the entire scheduled class period as demonstrated by presenting material in a logical and coherent manner and showing how the part relates to the larger topic.
* Employs a variety of active learning techniques to engage students by demonstrating a student-centered approach to teaching (i.e. focuses on learners needs and adapts methods; maintains a respectful and collaborative environment, encourages students to ask questions and actively participate, and asks questions that promote critical thinking and analysis).
* Demonstrates mastery of and currency in subject matter by incorporating practitioner experience in teaching (i.e. examples and relevant assignments and activities); incorporates up-to-date subject-matter expertise that reflects current trends in the field of study; and displays an ability to clarify abstract and complex ideas by using examples and analogies.
* Utilizes iPads/ Moodle and other technology in the classroom to enhance learning.
II. Administrative Responsibilities and Service to the University
* Performs administrative duties in a timely manner; attendance, midterm and final grades entered as required and attends scheduled campus and university-wide faculty meetings.
* Promptly contacts students who have missed classes and documents contact in the Faculty Portal (Campus Vue).
* Keeps regular office hours and meets with students; assists students by referring students to the appropriate person/resources.
* Knows and supports ECPI University catalog and program specific academic policies.
* Maintains classrooms, skills labs and computer labs.
III. Curriculum Responsibilities
* Completes faculty surveys, makes recommendations to the curriculum, and engages in curriculum meetings.
* Continuously provides suggestions for Moodle links and other multimedia, suggests improvements to labs.
* Assists in developing the University's curriculum and/or contributing course materials and uses the approved curriculum as found in Sharepoint/Moodle.
* Participates in program assessment and institutional effectiveness.
* Presents academic programs positively to applicants and the community.
IV. Professional Responsibilities and additional assigned duties
* Complies with all academic and regulatory policies including FERPA confidentiality of personal information provided by the students.
* Models professionalism (i.e. acts as a role model for professional behavior and attitude).
* Demonstrates continued professional development and maintains qualifications through ongoing education.
* Attends graduation (required), and actively participates in campus activities; for example, staff meetings, open houses, student award ceremonies, club advisor.
* Represents the University in a positive manner to internal and external constituents.
* If assigned - Club Advisor or Co-Clubs and Groups.
* Master s degree in English or a Master s degree with 18 graduate semester hours in the discipline from a regionally accredited educational institution.
* Applied or practical work experience preferred; 2 years teaching or presentation experience a plus.
* Strong academic and professional record
* Experience in a student-centric and hands-on learning environment
* Strong active-learning skills for effective instruction
* The highest levels of integrity at all times
* Orientation toward results
* Exemplary interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication skills
What does ECPI University have to offer*
* A focus on students and academic excellence
* Small class sizes
* Professional work environment
* Talented and committed co-workers
* An adult-focused accelerated schedule
* An opportunity to make a difference while expanding your knowledge, skills and professional network
* Competitive compensation & benefits plan
ECPI University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.