Operating Room Nurse
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/7/2016
END DATE 11/18/2016
Las Vegas, NV
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Code: 07386-2554
The Ambulatory Surgery Division operates over 100 ambulatory surgery centers across the U.S. Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASCs) perform surgeries that do not require hospital admission. They provide cost-effective services and a convenient environment. Procedures are performed in a fully equipped operating room and recovery is under the care of highly skilled nurses. Whether young or old or somewhere in between, patients and their families benefit from the comfortable environment ASCs have to offer. Surgeries performed include eye, ear, nose and throat (ENT), general surgery, gynecologic, plastic surgery, podiatry and orthopedics. Apply Now! Come Join our Team!
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Contributes to the company by utilizing the nursing process in planning, executing, and evaluating the nursing care given to the surgical patient during the intra-operative period. Plans and delivers safe, effective nursing care until the patient is transferred from his/her care to the recovery R.N. Performs duties of the circulating or scrub role in caring for all age patients.
OPERATIONAL DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
* Demonstrates necessary practical, technical, or specialized skills required for the role of the peri-operative nurse in accordance with AORN and other regulatory standards of practice.
* Demonstrates knowledge of surgical procedures and has the ability to oversee the instrument and equipment set-up, prepare for the case utilizing preference cards, and anticipates needs of surgeon.
* Coordinates and oversees the room during a case as the circulator.
* Facilitates effective and efficient transition between surgical procedures.
* Utilizes preference cards and updates as necessary.
* Utilizes appropriate body mechanics in moving patients, stretchers, and OR tables to prevent injury to patient and self.
* Demonstrates knowledge of management of patient, including: being available to anesthesia during intubation and extubation, assisting as needed in sudden changes in patient condition and being readily available to assist as directed.
* Performs thorough patient interview and assessment in accordance with procedure and assures an appropriate, detailed time out process is done according to policy.
* Consistently reviews charts for completeness, in accordance with documentation protocols prior to and after the surgical procedure. Assures appropriate consent, H/P, diagnostic reports, and relevant information are on chart prior to the start of procedure.
* Ensures that H/P is a complete full examination of all body systems and dated within 30-days prior to procedure.
* Ensures that H/P, orders for the procedure, and consent form are consistent prior to placing in medical chart.
* Prepares and administers medications in accordance with current practice (i.e. review physician orders, pre-op antibiotics, preparing/labeling medications on/off field, utilizing the 7 medication rights, identifying high alert medications, conducting independent double checks when indicated, and narcotic waste, etc.). Assures only licensed personnel administer medications.
* Relays appropriate hand off communication to PACU staff to ensure continuity of care.
* Performs nurse circulator duties as assigned.
* Participates in the anesthesia time-out process if performed in the pre-op area prior to administration of pre-operative blocks or prior to the induction of anesthesia.
* Takes responsibility for careful and accurate handling and/or logging of narcotics, biohazardous materials, and surgical specimens.
* Recognizes emergency situations and responds effectively in a calm and controlled manner.
* Assures all members of the surgical team comply with principles of surgical hand asepsis, aseptic, and sterile technique.
* Demonstrates knowledge related to maintenance, cleanliness, and sterilization of instruments and equipment. Maintains a sanitary environment for the provision of patient care.
* Appropriately handles the disposal of biohazardous materials.
* Restocks area daily, using appropriate par levels and daily stock sheets.
* Prepares procedure room for use the following day by bringing in equipment, setting up, "pulling cases" accurately, and reporting to supervisor items that are needed and not available.
* Spends appropriate time and energy on tasks and assignments based on the policies that are supportive of the Center s goals and objectives.
* Functions independently according to job responsibilities and within scope of practice utilizing current standards of care.
* Takes personal initiative to maintain current RN licensure, BCLS, ACLS/PALS (if indicated) and other professional certifications current as defined by job role.
* Uses facility resources appropriately and avoids wasteful practices.
* Attends all mandatory in-services, staff meetings and participates in emergency drills.
* Participates in the orientation of new employees.
* Completes annual competency and other required education as assigned.
* Maintains confidentiality and security of records and patient information at all times.
* Practices and adheres to the Code of Conduct philosophy and Mission and Value Statement .
* While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current Position, it is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Management reserves the right to revise the Position or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances warrant (i.e. emergencies, changes in personnel or staffing, workload, rush jobs, or technical developments).
AGE SPECIFIC CARE:
* The patient care requirements may include those of pediatric, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric populations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
* Maintains current knowledge of surgical procedures and techniques.
* Broad knowledge of anesthesia care and when to assist anesthesia team.
* Knowledge of current practice related to hand hygiene, aseptic and sterile technique.
* Knowledge of current practice of decontamination, high level disinfectant, and sterilization procedures.
* Ability to identify and select instruments and equipment necessary for surgical procedures and appropriately interpret information on preference cards.
* Demonstrates attention to detail by ensuring that all documentation is legible, complete, and accurate.
* Knowledge of organizational policies, procedures, systems, and objectives.
* Has knowledge of patient rights and strives to improve patient outcomes by respecting each patient s cultural, psychosocial, and spiritual values.
* Knowledge of applicable regulatory, compliance, and accreditation standards and requirements.
* Possesses critical thinking skills.
* Demonstrates a willingness to listen to others and openly expresses respect for differing opinions.
* Demonstrates leadership, effective organizing, and planning skills.
* Effective problem solving skills to include data analysis and judgment to make effective decisions.
* Ability to work with minimal supervision.
* High Impact Communication - Effective oral and written communication skills
* Computer Skills Knowledge and basic use of computer skills.
* Maintains high level of confidentiality at all times.
* Ability to build trust and gain respect through effective team leadership and participation skills.
EDUCATION: Graduate from an accredited school of professional nursing.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum 2 years experience in an operating room setting; preferably in an ambulatory surgery center.
* Active RN license as required by state of employment.
* Valid BCLS Certification upon employment.