Operations Manager - Fiber Supply
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/9/2016
END DATE 1/19/2017
Kapstone Paper and Packaging Corp.
North Charleston, SC
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Purpose
The Operations Manager, Fiber Supply is responsible for directing and managing cost effective wood fiber and chip purchases and inventory for over 3 million green tons annually. This requires developing relationships with suppliers, customers and land owners to ensure low cost/high quality procurement solutions.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
This list identifies the essential functions. As with all jobs, all duties and responsibilities are not listed, and will vary based upon the department, team, and business needs.
* Analyze market data to provide accurate costs and volume projections for OCC, wood fiber, chips and saw timber as applicable to the mill. This includes determining the appropriate time to buy in order to ensure optimal prices and levels of inventory to support production.
* Identify and qualify low cost sourcing and pricing opportunities and oversee/negotiate purchase contracts.
* Develop and implement a strategic sourcing plan based on cost, mill specifications and quality that aligns with production strategies and lumber markets to optimize operating margin.
* Manage the fiber flows of off-site operations and inventories. This includes tracking and conducting physical inventories to ensure appropriate stock levels.
* Remain current in market data and report on supply/demand, pricing and competitor strategies.
* Integral part of the production team at the Charleston mill, adjusting to the changing requirements of mill production and woodyard operations. Maintain close connection with mill production planning to be clear of their short term and longer term sourcing needs.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Bachelor's degree in procurement or related field preferred
* 8-10 years procurement experience preferred
* Ability to negotiate and influence vendors and land owners
* Strong analytical, problem solving, and decision making skills
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Strong organizational skills; ability to prioritize, maintain attention to detail and recognize time constraints
* Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite software programs
Mental and Physical Requirements
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position requires regular keyboarding and sitting. Work is performed in a normal office environment with occasional exposure to the mill.
Position may require up to 10-20% domestic travel to vendors or other operating facilities.
Leadership and Management Responsibilities
* Manage a team of support staff providing leadership, vision, performance management, recruiting, training, mentoring and disciplinary action.
* Manage operations at chip mills.
* Provide direct and indirect managerial support to 40-50 operators and salaried employees in the department.
* Participate in the Mill Leadership Team.
* Lead the Fiber Supply area in safety both by example and by effectively communicating the mill's commitment to a culture of safety.
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this position. The actual duties, responsibilities and qualifications may vary based on assignment or group.
KapStone is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, gender, age, national origin, religion, marital status, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled