Ophthalmic Registered Nurse- Ophthalmology Clinic
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/12/2016
END DATE 12/30/2016
UT Southwestern Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONFull/Part Time/PRN: Full-Time
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Licensure as Registered Nurse by Board of Nurse Examiners for State of Texas and CPR certification are required. One (1) year of clinical nursing experience is preferred.
Delivers nursing interventions to assigned patients that are consistent with stated medical plan of care utilizing the nursing process to assess, implement, and record patients' response in the medical record.
Schedules patients' appointments, tests, and procedures via on-line computer system or telephone, and reinforces physician instructions in person and through telephone contact.
Provides patient education and documents patient's response in medical record.
Ensures appropriate patient consents and authorizations are obtained for research and/or medical treatment.
Triages patient phone inquiries according to physician and/or departmental protocols and documents such actions in patients' medical records.
Provides working supervision and delegates tasks to licensed vocational nurses, non-licensed medical staff, or office support personnel.
Proficiency in electronic medical record documentation.
Participates in the recommendation of policy and/or procedural changes according to nursing expertise.
Prepares equipment and assists physicians during physical exams and medical procedures. Prepares and administers medications as prescribed by physician.
Inspects equipment and facilities visually and physically to ensure patient safety and proper functioning of equipment. Maintains adequate stock of supplies as required for work area.
Attends and participates in meetings related to clinical activities.
Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records. Performs other duties as assigned.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
Specific duties of this posioitn within the Opthamology Clinic will include:
* Angiograms (start IV and injection angiographic dye under the direction of the ordering physician)
* Oversee the renewal of the systemic medications used by the uveitis service along with monitoring laboratory tests for this population of patients.
* Assist with Plastic Surgery minor surgeries in clinic
* Sterilization of instruments
* Pre-op evaluations/post-op instructions (at the time of scheduling): would include meds/anti-coagulants use the day of surgery
* Assessments of pre-op testing required for surgery
* Staff education: best practices, patient safety, safe work environment
* Assist with triage phone/My Chart messages
* Calls/My Chart messages to patients/referral providers with the results of tests, exam findings, path, etc.
* Compilation and evaluation of quality metrics and outcomes data
* Monitor use of evidence-based practice guidelines (would fall under a quality section of responsibilities)
* Assisting in development of policies, procedures, and protocols
* Develop and monitor standard practice guidelines regarding injections (safety)
* Ophthalmic medication management: ordering andmaintaining par levels
To the extent provided by applicable law, no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity sponsored or conducted by The University of Texas System or any of its component institutions, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, or disability..