Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center - Boston, MA
This job is no longer active. View similar jobs
The Opthalmic Technician reports to the Operations Manager. This position is responsible for taking a history, a vision, tension and administrating drops.
Essential Responsibilities: - Escorts patients to and from exam rooms. Takes a complete history focusing on the patient's eye symptoms. Checks allergies and medications. Pinholes baseline vision or refract. Uses tonopens and applanation for glaucoma tension. Administers drops for dilation.
- Sets and performs visual fields, A-scans, autorefractor , OCT, Fundus Photographs, lensomoter and topography. Monitors supply rooms and keeps exam rooms stocked and supplied.
- Runs and monitors provider schedules. Monitors patient flow. Assists ophthalmologist with minor eye procedures. Coordinates repair of equipment. Works with Optometrist contact lens program.
Required Qualifications: - High School diploma or GED required .
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Must have either previous ophthalmic experience or be a qualified COA or COT.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
Competencies:- Written Communications:
Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications:
Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work:
Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service:
Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups:
16-30 years, Middle Age:
30 - 60 years, Elderly:
Physical Nature of the Job:
Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campusDepartment DescriptionThe Eye Unit is located on the 5th floor of the Shapiro building. The clinic is very busy, but is a rewarding place to work.